Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a buddy and my son out on one of those Dan Hernandez trips this past Saturday. We took off out of Pierpoint Landing in Long Beach on the Westerly. Well, my 11 year old son won the jackpot. When he was handed his winnings, the deckhand told him that the crew gets a manditory 20% tip off the top of the jackpot. Having not been a jackpot winner in a very long time, I was wondering if this is now a standard practice. It just doesn't seem right to me.

All in all, I'd say the deckhands did a "typical" job of taking care of people on the boat, and would certainly be worthy of a tip from everyone on the boat, but to take 20% from the jackpot???

Am I wrong to believe that that the jackpot is for the patrons of the boat and not the crew??? I realize this is how they make a living, but shouldn't they get their tips based upon the quality of service that they provide for those who need help???

Now I guess this is assuming that everyone will pitch in and give some type of tip. But that being said, even if everyone on the boat doesn't give a tip, I believe the crew has no right to the jackpot monies just because they want to make a living. If this was the case, what's to prevent them from taking 50% or all of it next time???

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Docman said:
I took a buddy and my son out on one of those Dan Hernandez trips this past Saturday. We took off out of Pierpoint Landing in Long Beach on the Westerly. Well, my 11 year old son won the jackpot. When he was handed his winnings, the deckhand told him that the crew gets a manditory 20% tip off the top of the jackpot. Having not been a jackpot winner in a very long time, I was wondering if this is now a standard practice. It just doesn't seem right to me.

All in all, I'd say the deckhands did a "typical" job of taking care of people on the boat, and would certainly be worthy of a tip from everyone on the boat, but to take 20% from the jackpot???

Am I wrong to believe that that the jackpot is for the patrons of the boat and not the crew??? I realize this is how they make a living, but shouldn't they get their tips based upon the quality of service that they provide for those who need help???

Now I guess this is assuming that everyone will pitch in and give some type of tip. But that being said, even if everyone on the boat doesn't give a tip, I believe the crew has no right to the jackpot monies just because they want to make a living. If this was the case, what's to prevent them from taking 50% or all of it next time???

Thanks.
That's a first for me. I normally give the JP to the crew BUT if this is the wave of the future, give them the 20% and take the rest home. There is no way I would give them the entire pot after that. In addition I would let them know after the fact that my usual practice is to give them the pot and that because of their greed they can have the 20%. Reading between the lines they probably don't do all that great a job, so 20% is probably a good tip for them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was on a boat called the "Blackjack" out of Redondo a number of years ago and this happened, but well in excess of 20%. There were 65 people on the boat and the jackpot was $5 a head. If only 1/2 of the people were in this would be in the neighborhood of $160. I was one of the last to sign in and I know for a fact that there were over 40 people in the pot. I won the jackpot and was handed $90! I was pissed and it almost ended up in a fistfight. What are you going to do? On the boat you're in a foreign country, and the crew makes the rules. Posting the name of the boat and boycotting them is the only recourse we really have. The skipper wouldn't come down out of the wheelhouse when I was trying to resolve this, so I said to hell with the boat the those futher muckers.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
willy said:
Docman said:

Thanks.
That's a first for me. I normally give the JP to the crew BUT if this is the wave of the future, give them the 20% and take the rest home. There is no way I would give them the entire pot after that. In addition I would let them know after the fact that my usual practice is to give them the pot and that because of their greed they can have the 20%. Reading between the lines they probably don't do all that great a job, so 20% is probably a good tip for them.

Ditto what willy said....greed should never be rewarded.:td:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Docman said:
...Am I wrong to believe that that the jackpot is for the patrons of the boat and not the crew??? I realize this is how they make a living, but shouldn't they get their tips based upon the quality of service that they provide for those who need help???...
There are two sides to this, both with some validity, but in general, you're right...a gratuity is at the discretion of the patron, in any establishment, in any way.

ASIDE: I spent many years in restaurants, finishing as an executive chef. Service people are consistently and shamefully treated by a large percentage of customers, who feel that tipping is "optional." Unfortunately, the laws provide for service personnel to receive very low wages, with the expectation that they will also receive tips. Federal law provides that service people must pay income tax on 10% of their "sales" based on the assumption that they will receive at least that much in tips. Unfortunately, a great many customers give much less than that, even for exceptional service.

Anyway, in regards to the crew on the boat, they all theoretically get paid their salary or wage, and tips are (equally theoretically) optional. But I have been on a few of those day trips, and I have seen just how cheap many of the anglers can be. Made me mad, actually. The two times I have won the jackpot, I have taken out of it the cost of my trip (significantly less than 50% of the jackpot), and given all the rest to the crew as a tip. Seemed like the least I could do.

But that's just me.

I don't think the boat should have a right to "appropriate" 20% of the jackpot. They don't have the right to claim any of it. On the other hand, anyone who wins the jackpot should (in my opinion) be more than happy to give 15-20% of their winnings to the crew. So it kind of works out the same. The way they did it on your trip, though, guaranteed that you got a bad taste in your mouth.

In the long run, that's bad for the boat.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Alan_Cole said:
If they demanded 20% off the top AND already had it it would be ALL they got, if it were me. :z

IF they had KEPT THEIR GREEDY MOUTH CLOSED, they might have ended up with ALL OF IT. :p

I totally agree with you on that! :\ On top of that, that would have been their whole tip!

Chris

·
Banned
559 Posts
Totally unacceptable.

I've been offered two free passes in exchange for giving up the JP to the crew and thought it was a fair deal. Normally, I would give them 50% of the winnings.

In that situation, I'd say "great..enjoy it and thanks for free burgers and beer..." and would walk off and boat without paying the galley tab. Tell them that you left your wallet in the car and if they wanted to...they could meet you out in the parking lot to "settle up". The ideal of a "Jackpot" is based upon the understanding that your taking a risk and that overcoming this risk is earned by the angler who catches the biggest fish plain and simple...whether it's skill, luck, or the divine intervention of god. I'm really getting tired of people expecting something for nothing. EARN IT!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
You would not belive how many JP'S are won and they give just about nothing to the Crew... and an 11yr old Most of the time they keep all of it that a boat load of money for a kid... a ton of boats take 20% off the top...

I work on many sportboats as a 2nd and I wish the boats did not take 20% off the top of JP

but to be Honest thier are time when we a have a $150 pot and get 10 bucks out of it and thier are time when we have a $150 pot and get all of it (same boat same weekend)

we can catch a bunch of fish and walk away little side money
then thier are times when we catch not much and do well on sides

it's so damm hard to say what right.
when I was use to pay to fish if I won jp I tried to pay my galley tab and fish cleaning out of JP and leave the rest for the crew
I think thats fair (Just mine not me and my buddes)

well it that time of year how much do you tip?
I had one guy told the owener of the boat not to give me a dime of $500 crew tip becuase I did not help any one on deck.. He just drove you to Cortez Bank and back 14 hours on the wheel he said that is his job and he did it! was the reponse of the owner so yea let the fun begin... hope you guys catch a bunch this year and good luck with your crews...from the guy who got you thier and if some said it was a ruff crossing someone was getting thier ass kick the whole time your 2nd Capt was...

·
Banned
2,950 Posts
I never understood the whole "give it all to the crew" mind set. The division depends entirely upon the service I got from the crew. But, if 20% is all they want (and took it!), then that's ALL they get.
BTW, the Blackjack was the boat to be on in the 80's, seemed like they were always on the fish. VERY questionasble ethics once on the water...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ditto what Marley said about the BJ being
the boat to be on.I would name the caps
they were all friends of mine,but if I forgot
someone they might feel slighted.All the caps
on the BJ in that era liked to put fish on the
boat.One in paticular was nicknamed Capt.
Midnight due to the fact he would stay as late
as it took to get the job done(MB)the crew didnt
care to much for this extra effort but I did.

With that said I have never collected wages on
a sportboat nor would I want to.The deckies
collect min wage for an 8 HR day while putting
in(on the overnight boats)16 to 20 hrs.
They depend on tips.I couldn't do it could you?

I always gave 5o% for good service100%.
With that said if they take 20% off the top
it should be stated on the top of the JP
signup if not thats all they deserve is 20%,
Because thats what they expect.
Mikey

·
Registered
286 Posts
Very interesting thread and all the responses. I'll keep an open mind next time. I spent many years as well working in a restaurant and we were taxed 8% of sales. I know how that goes. But with that said I could not pre tip myself. We also did the scary O'kee. Them b'stards/ iches NEVER tipped. AND they drank coffee or iced tea, the only drinks with free refills. Damn, now that I think of it I shoulda been triple brewing the coffee AND the tea. What was I thinking then. I could've let them leave shak'n like nothing ever had before:p

The last 5day I went on to the Guadalupe, the boat took a bottle of patron. It was in the freezer a few hours before I went to go get it but was gone when I went to retrieve it. Not sure why there was left overs, but I'll NEVER fish that boat again. Again, if they asked it would have been one thing. But they took it. So they lost a customer for life.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.