Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my head it made sense. Aluminum dissipates heat very well, which is why my reels are made outta the stuff. So being a typical barbecuing' type fisherman I deduced that aluminum furniture would be best for our backyard and patios and purchased am 7 pc fining set, two loveseats, four big chairs, a coffee table and three end tables. I got tired of replacing our patio furniture every year or two and figured this stuff could never rust and was sold on the idea of cast aluminum. Now I'm wondering if it's even cast aluminum...the stuff gets hotter than the basement of hell in the sun. Granted, it's finished with a bronze finish but shouldn't it stay relatively cool anyway? I'm talking hot! Burn your hands hot...this after being in the sun for 45 minutes. You could cook an egg on it! Does this sound like cast aluminum? How do I check it? Nothing on the cartons is conclusive. I'm wondering if it cast iron instead...it's heavy heavy furniture. I'm kinda pissed after spending so much. :(

This post edited by HD 06/15/2008

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope...the magnet's not sticking. Went online and found the pieces listed as cast aluminum. I just cannot believe aluminum can get so damn hot in the morning sun. They are literally too hot to sit on. Guess I gotta paint em white or create some shade for em now. Grrrr. Learn from my mistakes gang. @(

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do what I did.I Put carbonite paneling on my patio cover.It had 1 1/2" spacing between the top 2x4's. I got transparent off white. It lets all of the light through but blocks out all of the direct sun.The patio stays cooler for this summer outdoors and the downstairs in the house stays cooler.A do it yourself project with no permit required.And you can BBQ on a rainy winter day.
Solved my problems.

Tom

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
HD, we have some composite metal furniture of some sort and we keep covers on our chairs which protects them from the heat and keeps them dry in the rain. I think we get these covers at Linens and Things.

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After considering things like the CC&Rs to build a patio cover (not to mention the cost & turn around time since I would have to contract it as I'm not handy with tools) I decided that wasn't the quick fix I really wanted. Covers are okay for winter but for daily summertime use, seems inconvenient. Ended up getting one of these with mosquite sheer walls. The box is big and heavy...so is the instruction manual. Need a handyman now. 8) It's father's Day, I'm relaxing now.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,959 Posts
Wils said:
HD said:
Aluminum dissipates heat very well
My guess is that it dissipates heat because it gets hot? :?

That is correct. It is a good conductor of heat, so it gets hot quickly and cools down quickly. That?s why they make cookware out of it. Painting it white will help a little.

Nothing like wood for outdoor furniture, but make sure they don?t have the round bolt-heads anywhere your body comes into contact!

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't like teak anymore...it was okay for awhile but with dogs, kids and wild animals in my backyard, doesn't hold up as well and i hate the oiling process...took forever given the number of pieces we had. Now I'm stuck with this stuff. The wife likes it and once the gazebo is up, my problem should be solved. Thanks guys. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Nice stuff Bruce. I know what you mean about the dogs. My F'ing pups were chewing my teak patio table like it was a fifteen hundred dollar chew toy put there just for them. I slathered Tabasco sace all over the one spot they were chewing and they licked it and acted as if they liked it. :x I finally caught them in the act about a week ago when they had shock collars on. I zapped them both but good and they both seemed to think the table was what shocked them because they won't even lie down under it anymore.:) Bill

This post edited by WJW 06/16/2008

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Bruce, Before you sit on them, hose them down with cold water first, that ought to solve the problem. Next time if & when you buy new furnitures, remember you want the stuff that will "insulate" from heat rather than a "better conducting" heat, materials. The "best" heat insulating material is air, or materials with lots of air pockets, that's why wood & pillow cases are very comfortable. By buying aluminum furnitures, they "draw" heat into the furniture and store them there. The only time they draw heat "away" from the metal is when the metal is hotter than the surroundings, not exactly what you want your butts to sit on in that scenario -- unless you intended to roast them. So the cold water cools them down, making it more comfortable to sit on.

This post edited by TimC 06/16/2008

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The chairs all have cushions but the armrests are a problem. Shading em seems to be the best solution. Either than or have matching armrest sleeve cushions made.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The dark color of the metal parts doesn't help one bit to keep it cool.
Have you ever compared a white t-shirt compared to a black t-shirt in the sun?
If the metal was painted white it should help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.