Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm wondering what you think is the best ride to catalina. My home harbor is MDR.

I guess my question is if its worth the effort to trailer down to San Pedro for the crossing angle. Are there any other benefits or downfalls of departing from each marina.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
The ride home to MDR can be a S.O.B. in the afternoon wind and swell, If you plan your day right come home from the west end to long beach nice down hill ride most of the time. I think i would rather put the miles on my truck than my boat

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'd agree w/ old7.

I've never made the run to MDR, but I do know that from West end to LB is a smooth run in the afternoon (most of the time).

John
"Bass Hole"
26' Striper WA

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Kind of hard to launch anywhere but MDR when you live there Mike.
I live in O/C and prefer to launch at Huntington when I go to the island.
When the waves and wind are UP . . . that ride back to MDR can be NOT SO NICE.

John.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cabrillo is not too bad a drive for me. I mean with the trailer it takes 45 or so. To me the smoother ride in the boat would be well worth the travel time on the freeway. Is there much of a distance difference?

Thanks guys.

Any other thoughts are great.

mike

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Mike,

I think it really depends on where at Cat you intend to concentrate your fishing. If you are fishing the outside east end, Vs, Freddie's, Ben Weston, then I'd trailer to SP. Shorter run to island and easier ride home in afternoon when things get nasty. But if you plan to fish Arrowpoint and to the west, and West End, then MDR is the way to go. Also, the angle home to MDR from West End is the easier shot to MDR. Coming home around East End to MDR is generally brutal in the San Pedro Channel. And getting from Ben Weston area to West End to come home to MDR with the better angle can be, and usually is, brutal when seas are up and its howling. JMHO.

Fish the Tides - Freddie

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. I figure you guys have done this dozens of times in your own boats and pretty much have it dialed. That'll safe me and the crew days of sore backs and knees. I think thats exactly what we'll do. When we plan to fish the east end, trailer down and when we're going to fish west end we'll leave from home. The obvious down side to trailering is the more or less two hour round trip. On the otherhand the extra half hour or hour we'll spend in the boat by not trailering will cost more in gas and on the body.

Thanks guys

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts