All Coast banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I noticed something odd last night while bugging. out of the 10 legals we had on board 9 of them were females? Its usually the other way around i've found. Give or take a female or 2.
First thing I thought was the moon had something to do with it?
Then today I called a friend who was a lobster man on the east coast for a few years. His answer was maybe the females are looking to spawn and out crusing for males. Or just a fluke and the law of averages was in effect.
My opinion! They walk on a full moon and the good tides.

Take pictures, leave wakes

·
Banned
11,019 Posts
RE: yes!!!

Early in the season it's usually mostly females on the rocks I hoop, later after a few storms it turns to almost all males.

Normally when I hoop I release all females, but early in the season if that's all I'm getting I'll take a few females under 3 pounds.

I don't keep big females, the larger their tales the more eggs they can carry and protect. There's plenty of bugs out there and you can only eat so many lobsters so it's not big deal to let a few go.

All legal lobsters are breeding age even a small female carry's hundreds of eggs. In contrast any male can breed with several females so I don't feel bad about removing males (even large ones) from the population.

Oh.... and yes... Full moons are bad for hooping if your in clear shallow water. The bugs see the shadow of the boat and are more skiddish. When the moon is full I use longer ropes and always come in from down current. You don't want your shadow getting close to the net before you start pulling it, or the bugs will bail.

Jim

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great observations Jim. Letting those big females go ensures a good population for seasons to come.
Monster, under the tail there are some fins. The felames have large round ones that overlap each other. When the female spawns these large fins secure and protect the eggs.
The males have small fins say the size of a nickle or so and dont over lap.

A buddy just called me and said a boat in on the wall at MDR. Divers are in the water and someone is recieving CPR on a boat.
I hope everyone is safe.

Take pictures, leave wakes

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks for the replies. From the reports over the weekend it seems that it definitely makes it a bit tougher for hooping.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I believe it does, but not sure exactly in how many ways it does affect them.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Last week for the two days before and day of the full moon
the bugs were crawling full speed. Limits in 30-45 minutes.
Seven, eight and nine bugs in a net. But it's been full speed
in most of the usual places so far this season.

I've also been out there when nothing was happening on the
full moon. Too many variables to really say. I think your system
accounts for about 50% of what happens (nets, ropes, floats, bait).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts