Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what ever happened to Donald Sansome after the Excel deal ? He was always one of my heroes since I was a pinhead back in 1970.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Baja Dreamer said:
I'm not completely sure, but last I knew he got into large mouth bass fishing big time!
I think that was his brother Danny, who owned AA and Point Loma landing.
Last I heard Don took over or was working at, the LA shipyard that
partially built the EXCEL.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
poorfokz said:
Baja Dreamer said:
I'm not completely sure, but last I knew he got into large mouth bass fishing big time!
I think that was his brother Danny, who owned AA and Point Loma landing.
Last I heard Don took over or was working at, the LA shipyard that
partially built the EXCEL.
OOPS! You're right, my bad!

I misread it and thought he was talking about Dan!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris, I do know BOTH Don and Dan loved bass fishing (long before Don started the Excel). I know where Dan is.
poorfokz, do you know the name of the shipyard ? I'm not trying to stalk the guy, just curious why he dropped off the radar screen after all those years. Plus, I'm living in MS and I heard he moved down around these parts and was never heard from again.

Don was awesome, I will tell you one story (I've got a million of 'em)
I about 16 years old, was on the New Lo An one day with Don, Buzz, and Mike Fitch. (We all know where Buzz went; Mike Fitch went into construction) It was a slow winter day, few passengers onboard, very slow fishing. At about 4 PM when we thought Don would say "wind em in, lets head for the barn"......instead he said, he heard a report the IB boat had hooked a couple seabass in the middle grounds yesterday late. So we parked in tight to the middle in about 8 fathoms. Don took a nap. It was dead for about an hour and a half.
Don woke up, walked out of the wheelhouse, and it seemed like about 5 minutes later, somebody hooked a seabass, then another, everybody was bent. The fish were 20 to 40 lbs. Everybody caught at least one.
We returned to PL about 8 PM. What an awesome display of patience and perseverence !!! :)
Don was a guy who fished very fast and impatient when the situation called for it, and had a mile of patience when it was needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot one of the best parts about that story:
After we cleared the islands, Don put somebody else at the wheel, put on his oilskins, grabbed a brush and helped me scrub the boat while Buzz and Mike cleaned the fish. I'll never forget that as long as I live.

·
Registered
860 Posts
pablissimo
Vessel documentation site lists Gulf Coast Marine as the builder. I believe they are or were in Louisiana. I thought they went bankrupt
before the boat was finished and then Bill Poole bought it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just finished business w/ Mr. Samsome, he is still working daily at ' Pearsons Fuel Dock on Shelter Island. We talk, boat operations mostly. Among many of the giants in the industry, like Big Ed on the Queen I worked, also under Don's brother Dan on the Lo-an, my most resent boat,was shogun. Anyway Don is there every day at Pearsons fuel dock, he gives our Trawler 'FANTASY FREE' all fisherman discounts,along w/ his sleepy purposeful walk down the dock, and gentle grin, on most days. I think I made his day today by offering some words of encouragement, a hat tip if you will on all the fishermans,life& people he continually affects in a prominent way. Hope this helps. Johnny West. Fishermans Landing Native.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts