All Coast banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. so me and my buddy are going buggin friday night. a guy that i work with is a diver; he asked if he could join us.

Can 2 of us work the nets while the 3rd guy goes playing underwater?

It's kinda funny, we have zero interest in diving and my co-worker as zero interest in pulling nets.

SoCalDoug

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I dont see any reason why this isn't legal. The gray area would be if he went over limits to fill the hoopers lack of limits; in essence, filling the "boats" limits. That would be very difficult to prove, of course.

You know, I got to thinking that in the conventional scenario where the boat owner is at the helm (due to familiarity with the boat) and another is pulling the nets, one guy is actually getting "boat" limits for both guys. Not sure of the legality of that but you certainly want the owner operating the boat when so close to shore or a breakwater.

The guys where I buy my supplies told be that there must be a gauge for every angler on board, even if just hooping is going on. According to them, it's goal is uniformity in the law for divers and hoopers. Clearly, every diver should have their own gauge.

At least that's what I've been told.......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Come to find out its a moot point for this Friday. Diver-Dood has a headcold (i guess this is a no-no for diving)

Interesting topic though, ya gotta kinda be carefull I think.

SoCalDoug

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
There is no law against hoopers and divers on the same boat. Only downside is if you have a small boat--the deck will be crowded!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good point!

i know nothing about diving, but i can see the deck getting crowded with tanks, flippers, and other crap, real easy.

if/when i take him out, it's simply a courtesy thing for a co-worker and friend. i just want to make sure all the rules are met.

SoCalDoug

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Yes it is legal.
I was bummed my post on the number of Hoopers got boinked.
I was trying to educate you guys (especially inlanders) about
the big numbers of Hoopers that are multiplying like a bad ant problem.
The Lobster population is plentifull, but the problem is that it is
90% SHORTS ! The old timers at the beach around here used to throw back Bugs under 5 lbs. I am aware that it will never return to how it was up to the 1950's.
You guys that go deep or to the island are not what I am talking about. I am talking about guys in Avons, Zodiacs, K Mart rafts, skiffs working local breakwalls, and piers. I went to Redondo Pier the other night and saw 1/2 dozen guys with nets hooping in a very sneaky fashion. These fools were stuffing shorts in a backpack hidden in a planter. My friend made a report to DFG.
1-888-CFG-CalTip
I realize guys with expensize boats love to talk and show-off thier Pics on the Internet. Thier are alot of people (Lurkers) who only use it for info. Getting them all excited with great Pics and Posts.

D.R.

I once saw Norco Doug spray painting stripes on his Donkeys and
Taking them to TJ for to sell Pics on a street corner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts