Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are electric reels legal in Mexico?? I'm picking up a electric reel from this board to use in high spots in Mexico, but was wondering the legalities of this.

Any one know where I can go to find out??

Thanks,
John
"Bass Hole"
26' Striper WA

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found the answer.

In order to operate a boat*** that carries fishing equipment in Mexican waters, it is necessary to hold a valid boat permit and personal fishing licenses for everybody aboard the boat, regardless of age and whether fishing or not. A Fishing License is not required when fishing from land.

[*** Note: This includes kayaks and canoes. B.A.R.]

-- Only one rod or line with hook is permitted in the water, per person, but there is no restriction regarding the number of replacement items.

-- This fishing license allows to capture only fin fish. It does not allow to capture any mollusks or crustaceans, and their capture by anyone is strictly prohibited. Totuava, turtles and marine mammals are under protection of the Ministry and my not be captured at any time.

-- To capture bottom fish, up to four hooks on a vertical line may be used.

-- The use of electric reels is restricted to disabled fishermen only, after written authorization for the Ministry before use.

John
"Bass Hole"
26' Striper WA

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
The interpretation of that would be interesting, as most big boats have electric powered teaser lines from the bridge, obvious difference is no hooks accompany them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Our boat is set up with 17 electric reel outlets for bottom fishing. I last checked, 3 years ago, the angler fishing with an electric reel needed to have a permit. To get the permit the angler needed to furnish a letter from his/her doctor telling why they had a medical reason that would make an electric reel needed. I found this out by calling the permit office in San Diego. Hope this helps & tight lines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts