All Coast banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, no black cod for Kathy and I but we did manage 7 nice size dorado to aprox 30-lbs and 1 yellow fishing south of the border. Kathy has never surface fished before and was a total champ! She spotted most of the fish, hooked, and landed a bunch! Our findings? Make sure to use quality flurocarbon leaders 4-ft (20# min.) with mutu light circle hooks (1/0) was good, and pay super close attention to those white terns :))) They are the eyes to the fish as most dodos were away from the paddies chasing open-water sauries. Many boats got skunked locked into the paddies. Rough seas but plenty fishable.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I'll second that on the FLOURO.
My recent trip for the Dorado I was using 30 pound BG Clear with 40 pound SEAGAR FLOURO.
The Dorado had no issues hitting the Sardines OR MACS.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
my first fish last friday was on 17 pound fluoro carbon leader. my next fish, and next three bites were on straight 25 pound big game line. i think the flouro helps, but i'm more under the impression that when the fish are hungry and want to eat they're gonna eat anything. but i think the local dodo's are still somewhat stuffed on the little bait that's under almost all the paddies still.

then again, two of my bites were on a mackeral being slowly retrieved back to the boat. so who knows.

just my observations from friday.

by the way, mike, i couldn't view your photos on your post. anywhere else i can se them? love to see that big 'tail.

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts