Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving 6/30 for a 3 day aboard the Intrepid (can't wait) and I had a question about how the fish processors handle your catch. Do I need to call the processor I choose (obviously WF @() or are all the processors there to meet the boat and I choose then? With only a 3 day, I'm not sure the processors will be there.

Thanks

Also, I'm planning on bringing a 20-25-30-40-60 pound setups. Good to go? What irons might I want to bring?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Every trip I have been on out of Point Loma 5 star has been at the dock..They are a very good processor and I have never had any problem with them..Give Sara a call and confirm your date,I'm sure they will be there.. http://fivestarfishprocessing.com I like many others have had a bad experience with World famous and that one time is all I needed to never use them again..

This post edited by john sturdivant 06/19/2008

·
Registered
10,119 Posts
They will all be there. I use 5 Star, but here's what I'd do:
Ask whether or not you get your EXACT fish, not another boat trade style.
Ask what kind of yield you can expect.
Ask the price, but as in all things in life, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Good question.

I've used 3 processors: Anthonys (which did fine), Marios (which was decent), and Five Star. I gotta say that Five Star was just amazing. The ladies that run it (including Sara) understand how important our fish are to us. They realize after spending thousands of bucks goign fishing, we want to enjoy eating the fish.

So I only have two suggestions;
1) Call Sara at Five Star and tell her when your trip will return. Push your cart of fish over to 5star when you get back.

2) Ditto.

I love to eat ocean fish....especially BFT and YFT. Because it's best as sashimi, it has to be processed right. 5star does it right.

If you are considering "world famous" I would strongly suggest that you utilize the Allcoast search engine and read some of the threads over the last few years. The information is there, if you wish to read it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
re: Good question.

Oldtimer,

I've lurked for awhile so I'm well aware of World Famous' shortcomings. I was joking, but thanks for looking out... I'll give Sara a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
861 Posts
On some boats, fish processing is done onboard on trips of 3 days or less. No vac packing but the crew gets it done with a varying degree of skill and recovery. The crews pick up a few hard earned bucks this way but on trips longer than 3 days, Mexican law prohibits onboard processing.

I have used WF, Marios and 5 star and without a doubt, 5 Star is the best! The fish go from the RSW on the boat to 5 star where great care is taken to protect the freshness and quality of YOUR fish you have caught. 5 star pays close attention to details like the seal on your bags and a superb quality fillet.

Unlike the other processers, 5 Star does not sell retail or wholesale seafood. Their business is exclusivly focused on providing high quality processing for the San Diego sportfishing fleet. The quality of their work has earned 5 Star a loyal customer base among us longrangers, who return trip after trip.

I also like Mario and think he is a character but......my business goes to 5 star because of the great customer service and high quality of their work. Sara and Michele (forvive me if I got it wrong again) run a great operation

·
Registered
55 Posts
5 Star by far!! One thing I notice from the get-go is how they transport your fish from the dock to their facilities - insulated bins topped with ice vs in back of a refrigerated truck. Definitely top notch operation!

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Filetting on the Intrepid?

I was curious why a 3-day trip would require one of the processors. On all of the 3-day trips that I have taken, the crew has always fileted the fish. Does the Intrepid not offer this, David?

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
re: Filetting on the Intrepid?

Wils said:
I was curious why a 3-day trip would require one of the processors. On all of the 3-day trips that I have taken, the crew has always fileted the fish. Does the Intrepid not offer this, David?

Maybe this guy is from out of town and wants it canned, smoked, and vacuum sealed? :?

·
Registered
10,119 Posts

Wils said:

Just my experience Wils, but the 3 day freezer trips filet, but the 3 day trips on the long range boats do not filet.
And the 3 day trips chasing tuna on like the Pacific Queen, Legend, Pac Voyager, etc, do filet.
I don't know, I don't question it. Doesnt bother me.
Time for someone else to call and ask why, doesn't concern me in the least.
And if you consider having them filleted on the boat, then using Sean at the landings vacuum sealed (which I highly reccomend), the processors work out less expensive.
Thus my reason for not giving a crap about onboard filleting.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Right there with ya David. I'd much prefer to have 5 star filet and vacuum seal so I don't have to do it. My sealer is not nearly the quality that I can get from 5 star. If I'm spending a lot to fish the Intrepid, I want the absolute best quality fish I can get.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts

I also like using the land based processors if possible--the price is cheaper and the packaging is much better. I'd choose on-board fileting only if my catch was meager enough that home vacum sealing is a 5-10 minute job.

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Moose_Head said:
call world famous, heard nothing but great things. on a 3 day use the salas TNT ON 4" top shot of flouro.......of coarse
Bullwinkle must not be in the loop. World famous is famous for F-ups! Go 5 Star if you want fish you can eat! They are great!!!

Disclaimer: I got boned by World famous three years in a row and will NEVER waste fish on them again!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.