Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Barbless Hooks Required Fishing at Marine Base!

On this day several anglers off on my right foul hooked a Monk Seal (have that on video), a locally protected endangered species. Another reason to fish & use barbless hooks. This was shot on a Marine Base where it is required to fish barbless. You can purchase barbless hooks but it only takes seconds to pinch the barb in.

If you look at one of the last pictures there's information on the bag to receive FREE barbless hooks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Barbless Hooks Required Fishing at Marine Base!

On this day several anglers off on my right foul hooked a Monk Seal (have that on video), a locally protected endangered species. Another reason to fish & use barbless hooks. This was shot on a Marine Base where it is required to fish barbless. You can purchase barbless hooks but it only takes seconds to pinch the barb in.

If you look at one of the last pictures there's information on the bag to receive FREE barbless hooks!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I am delighted,that barbless hooks work and save wildlife.I often wonder how many sea birds at the Islands die to mouth injuries due to circle hook removals.Barbless hooks,should be mandatory,used for live bait.I wish I could find someone that would video a deckhand pulling a circle hook out of a booby.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Circle hooks, especially, the barbs need be pinched whenever anchovies or sardines are used for bait, Sea birds such as boobies are often hooked with the circle hooks and never easily removed from a frightened bird. Many caught, will die due to mouth and throat injuries. If you must use a circle hook with feed birds near, use a sinker of at least, one ounce and dropped close to the vessel. When fish are difficult to locate, the skipper will look for feeding sea birds.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
I don't fish circles. 99 out of 100 birds that are hooked are gulls, and I have rarely seen them injured when handled by someone that is not afraid of them.

It's really a shame they don't taste better....

·
Registered
2 Posts
In 40 years of long-range fishing,Boobies,ganets,albatross ,i can't recall a single gull, maybe ,a couple of terns. I think the birds are protected or should be,that a reason for this post, I'd love to find a video removal of a circle hook in a booby. Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts