All Coast banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking for a boat that will overnight at islands,,small cuddy cabin.gps,vhf,.bait tank,weighs 5000 lbs or so,will be towing with a 4x 1500 silverado,,saw a Sea Fox i liked,,also a bayliner,,nice price after add ons,,but it only had a 30 gallon tank,,19' deep v,,with cuddy,,mercruiser,,would appreciate any suggestions,,pros and cons with your boats etc,,,,,

·
Registered
143 Posts
You may want to take a look at your vehicle owner manual and check the specs for towing capacity. A 5000 lb. boat, then add the trailer, boat fuel, equipment etc. It may be heavier than what your truck may handle. I think the Ford F-150 has a towing capacity of approx. 5000 lbs. I may be wrong, but let me know what you find out. I'm curious. ....

JR

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My truck manual says im rated for 6800 lbs,,,however dont want to go over 5000..The sea fox was at that dry with trailer,,,the bayliner i looked at was 3600 dry with trailer,,and as far as the amount i want to spend,,,,would like to keep it at 30,000 or under but will go to 35,000 ,,even a little more for the right set up..Both these boats i looked at were new..And i would rather have new than used,,but would buy a used set up ,,,provided it was in very good shape ,,right price.

·
Registered
652 Posts
That's about the price I just listed my boat for... Bait tank, VHF, Color GPS chartplotter... Thing is, it's a more swiss army boat where I have it set-up for local waters but it's also suited for rivers and lakes. Been to Catalina a couple times and slept in the cuddy. Not huge but worked for the wife and I as well as our son. If you are also planning on heading to the lakes or river and have kids, mine would be worth viewing in the classifeds. Otherwise if ocean only, it's fun to shop at the dealers and see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What engine r u running in it? And as far as a swiss army boat goes,,i need u to educate me on that,,how much fuel does it hold? Not in to towing long distance,,so it will be a ocean boat mainly

·
Registered
652 Posts
>What engine r u running in it? And as far as a swiss army
>boat goes,,i need u to educate me on that,,how much fuel does
>it hold? Not in to towing long distance,,so it will be a ocean
>boat mainly

54 gallons... 5.0 Volvo Penta with 7 year warrantee. We went to Catalina a couple weeks back and motored around the backside about half way and a little crusin on the front side. Decided to top up the tank for the ride home and had only burned 10 gallons. Pretty good mileage for a General Motors small block. If only Ocean, you probably would not appreceate the styling and want something that can get blood all over it and not look out of place. "Swiss Army" relates to it being good for lakes and wake boarding but yet be acceptable for Ocean fun. I think it's rated for 50 mph but I doubt you could ever see that in the Ocean.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The boat i would get would c some serious fishing,,,alot of my friends have ski boat set ups ,,so im good for fresh water,we need something very fishy,,,,we go out alot out of Seaforth ,,H,M etc..sounds like a real nice combo boat,,and yes,,raw water wash down ,,is a give,,,

·
Registered
652 Posts
You would not do well in my boat then...

I'm trading it in for a boat that can be beat up more and handle more rough seas. Good luck. Take a look at Seaswirl Stripers. Fairly inexpensive @ $47k for a 21'er. Bare bones but utilitarian.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have just the Boat for you it's a 21'Cabo I'm the original owner it's in Bristol condition with every possible opion you can imagine.

D.Paine (818)535-9503 Cell

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Take a look at Seaswirl
>Stripers. Fairly inexpensive @ $47k for a 21'er. Bare bones
>but utilitarian.

Holy snit! 47K for a 21ft Striper. They are great boats, I had a 23 footer. Sorry just a little stcicker shock reaction. There are a lot of great used boats out there. That's the first place I would look with 30-35k in my pocket.

CHRIS
A/K/A Private Boat "Fin-Addict"

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got off the phone with Parker,,57,000 for the sport cabin,,after all is said and done,,,little sticker shock there,,however,,thats fully loaded,seems none of these boats really come fish ready,,electronics wise for sure,,nice boat though,i will probly go down Sat,,and check them out,,

·
Registered
652 Posts
I looked at Parkers also but they do not have a 21' that is a Walk Around. In So Cal I worry that the enclosed pilot house is a bit too warm for the weather here. Stripers got the Alaska package that wraps the front and sides in glass and people are concerned that would be too hot. Just a thought to consider...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I would get a good used boat with a shot motor. Repower with brand new Honda/ or complete drive package./add new electronics etc. and end up with a great boat/low insurance and property tax costs.

Alan
SeaDancer
Skipjack 20

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive actually looked at some used boats,,and anything thats halfway descent so far,,,is still way up there,,though i havent seen anything with a blown engine that was in good shape....Im willing to buy used,,for the right price..but im not going to pay $ 20,000 for a $35,000 boat that needs a new engine and electronics,,ive bought a used boat in the past,,,Big sea doos etc. and put so much money into them over a couple year period ,,let alone time and energy wasted when i could have been in the water,,,i would have been alot better off with new,,,it would have to be a really good deal..Im now looking at the 18.5 seaswirl striper.I will go down to the dealer over the weekend.Have looked at Triumphs,Sea Fox,Pro line,Bayliner,Parker,I really liked the walk around bayliner,and the price after making it fishy,,but the damn thing only held 30 gallons of gas,,i was dumbfounded,,the guy told me to just carry a bunch of 5 gallon containers,,,a 20' deep v walk around,,cuddy cabin ,,and 30 gallon gas tank,,with a mercruiser,,what were they thinking

·
Registered
652 Posts
Maybe you should take a look at my boat? It's pretty luxurious already has all the electronics and bait tank... So it looks out of place all bloody.. You can always wash it off.

That 18' Stripper sounds rather short for our seas. Maybe you can go out for a test drive and see what you are up against.

My boats called a 22' but they are counting the swim step so realistically it's 21'er. Add some trim tabs and you got a boat that is a solid 22' in ride. Big difference from what I have been told.

I'd be looking at a 25-26'er if I had the money and space in my driveway just due to the better ride quality and safety in larger seas. I rode an old 25'er in Hawaii ant it plowed through waves with ease. Sure some came over the top but that was much of the fun as it was some elses boat :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
>Ive actually looked at some used boats,,and anything thats
>halfway descent so far,,,is still way up there,,though i
>havent seen anything with a blown engine that was in good
>shape....Im willing to buy used,,for the right price..but im
>not going to pay $ 20,000 for a $35,000 boat that needs a new
>engine and electronics,,ive bought a used boat in the
>past,,,Big sea doos etc. and put so much money into them over
>a couple year period ,,let alone time and energy wasted when i
>could have been in the water,,,i would have been alot better
>off with new,,,it would have to be a really good deal..Im now
>looking at the 18.5 seaswirl striper.I will go down to the
>dealer over the weekend.Have looked at Triumphs,Sea Fox,Pro
>line,Bayliner,Parker,I really liked the walk around
>bayliner,and the price after making it fishy,,but the damn
>thing only held 30 gallons of gas,,i was dumbfounded,,the guy
>told me to just carry a bunch of 5 gallon containers,,,a 20'
>deep v walk around,,cuddy cabin ,,and 30 gallon gas tank,,with
>a mercruiser,,what were they thinking

It's 4 Reels! - Parker 23
www.its4reels.com

Go Parker....They do have a 21 ft walkaround. I have the 23 and it is all tricked out. Been to San Clemente, Loreto, Ensenada and Catalina many times. It is definitely fishworthy and takes a pounding, is very stable on anchor and drift and is very easy to clean. I bought mine from Johnson Marine in Ontario and the thing they did that none of the other boat dealers did was allow me to customize it the way I wanted it. Ask for Ron or Joe. They also have a top notch installer who knows these boats inside and out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That Parker is a sweet lookin boat u have there Louie..Actually going to San diego this weekend ,,and taking a look at some over at Mission bay,,,Parker said they will take me out on the water,,Also taking a look at Seaswirl in Vista too,Thanx....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why heavy,?,,,and Bayliner is crossed off the list ,,simply because they hold no gas,,any other reasons? Im trying not to go over 5000 dry and 21' length as i will b towing this,,the nearest launch for me is a solid 1.5 hr..drive..min..have even thought about storing it close to water somewhere to avoid long tows,,open to all advice ,,thanx

1 - 20 of 28 Posts