All Coast banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am new to skiff fishing and would appreciate any tips on fishing the inshore. I have a 16'4"ft fiberglass skiff (http://www.westerneagleboats.com/) and am mainly interested in light and fly tackle.

When fishing kelp beds, do you anchor or drift thru the kelp?
If anchoring, where do you anchor relative to the bed? I will mainly be fishing the rocky point to palos verdes area.

Thankyou for the help.

Keith

·
Registered
267 Posts
I like to stay out of the kelp if at all possible. Besides engine entanglement, you can loose a lot of tackle in there. I try to stay on the in or outside of them. If the wind or current pushes me in the right direction, I like to drift along the edge of the kelp.
Musicalmike
Skipjack 20

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Looks like a nice boat. Birds diving are a good sign. If you have a meter drift over rocks/reefs. A good chart/gps will help. Lots of practice. If you anchor up next to a kelp bed try to anchor upstream so when your bait works back it ends up close to the kelp edge.

Alan
SeaDancer
Skipjack 20

·
Registered
102 Posts
I second #2 responce. Learn how to use your anchor, which is the one thing many private boaters neglect to do. Practice setting up and finding the best position to anchor up current from the spot you want to fish. Try throwing a little chum which could be cut up squid or some of whatever is in your bait tank that rolls while you are out. You want to draw the fish out of the kelp, or just to it's edges. Learn how to read your electronics. All this is time on the water. You'll get it. And even if some of your fellow fishermen out on the water don't have the best maners, try to show common curtesy which many people out there don't do. It's usually the guys that can't fish that crowd your spot, or move in on a paddy that you are working. Good Luck "Time Out" MDR ch72

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Hi keithy,

Have you got Mark Wisch's BETWEEN TWO AND TWENTY FATHOMS yet? Although your craft is a bit small for many of the gps numbers IMO, there's tons of ones well within your reach too. Besides it's great for boating and boat handling savvy specifically for the angler.

You might even catch him at Pacific Edge .....which he owns and operates.

Not affiliated ! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts