Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am new to fishing off my boat so I would appreciate general pointers as to technique and structures to fish. I usually launch out of King Harbor and fish Rocky Point to Pt Fermin Area. I mainly flyfish and use plastics. What should I be looking for, or what type of spots should I fish? If I am using plastics, how deep does one normally fish? I see all these fish reports with great pictures and I get pumped. I'd appreciate any info anyone has to offer.

Thanks

Keith

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Keith,

You have to be a little disappointed with the lack of responses thus far. There's a lot guys out there that can offer better tips than I about the Rocky Point area, and hopefully those tips will come in shortly. This particular area has a wide variety of fishing opportunities. The kelp areas have your obvious culprits like calico bass, WSB and the occasional YT. The deepwater areas off the point can produce some good rockfish action. I've caught some fairly large calico's in the kelp beds that stretch along the entire PV area. For the exotic species it' the right time, right location and right conditions type of thing. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Jeff
The Dalton Boys
21ft Parker

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hay Keithy. For now, put away your fly gear. Learn to fish bait and plastics. Then when you have some skills and experience you can read the water and say how can I apply my fly gear to this set of conditions. Small tip--look for current along the outside of the kelp. Find where the kelp is being pushed under water and cast your plastic swim bait across the kelp and retreive it in the clean water betweem the surface and the submerged kelp. HardFish'n.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I strongly strongly urge you to buy Mark Wisch's book "From Two to Twenty Fathoms" which covers local fishing. While it does not cover SMB in terms of fishing spots, it will still include a wealth of information for you about fishing including tackle rigging and techniques plus water conditions and how that relates to fishing. Also covers how to set up on structure including anchoring techniques etc. It focuses on how to fish for our most popular local species e.g. Calico Bass, Barracuda, WSB, Halibut etc.

You can find it at www.pacificedgetackle.com.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts