Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising the yacht show at Marina Del Rey over this past weekend and noticed "teak" decking without the plugs in it. Upon further "inspection", this stuff is a composite material that is approximately 3/16" thick and exteremly flexible. (yes I'm playing with a sample as I type.)
Those of us with older trawlers realize that eventually our existing teak decks are going to be needing either replacing or removal and a different water-proof non-skid surface installed.
Has anyone had any experience with this product?

Here's their website:
www.YachtDeck.com

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Wils,

There are several simulated teak decks on the market today, with Flextek being on of the more marketed ones on the west coast. I've been looking at this for the rear cockpit for some time and I keep going between real teak or the synthetic stuff.

In terms of this stuff, the reviews appear to be pretty good. The deck does not get slippery when wet (like some teak surfaces), retains it's warm brown color vs fading to silver / grey and the installation is lighter than a teak deck installation.

The down side is it's fairly expensive with quotes @ $70 a square foot installed vs $50 per square foot for the pattern (material).

Here's a recent thread I was following on the subject that you might find interesting.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/technical-discussion/3827-pros-cons-teak-decks.html

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

·
Registered
17,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill - Thanks for the link and the info. Its a product for me to think about a few years off. I was going to contact them and see if they sell the material only.

Rob - maybe bill can install a happy medium between teak and carpet:
TIGER SKIN RUG!!!!! Maybe WO bill can photo shop something on bills deck if/when he sees this thread. :+

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Hey now....

Carpet in the cockpit and bridge have served me well.......

It's cool year round, non-slip, takes abuse from bait, blood, salt and kids and is comfortable.... and where else can you fish year round in your bare feet and shorts??

(Notice how clean everything keeps and the kill bag has several YT and other dandy critters.. :) ).

Of course, that has it's own set of problems when inviting some crew aboard as they get too comfortable...

OK, yes, I admit I have carpet in the cockpit, and on the bridge...., but exactly no where on my fighting chair does it say LAZYBOY....!!!!

LMAO.....

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not par of the solution... you're part of the problem"

·
Registered
93 Posts
LMAO, classic sleeping beauty pic!

Bucket of sea water over the head cures that. Don't ask me how I know!
Redbull before trolling!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Ok, I'll say it again...I was LISTENING for fish up in the spread. Who doesn't listen better with their eyes closed??? LOL!! :). I'll just never live that pic down.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
As I understand it, only certified installers can buy it from Europe. They want to ensure it is done right and have no complaints from high end yacht owners, hich could damage their products' reputation..

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
No, you can buy it and do the install yourself, but it's not recommended by the local installers (which may just be what they all say).

However, all of these manufacturers have detailed installation instructions on their web sites....

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts