Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found on another board, we really need to read this... "well this sucks but needs to be told. this morning in westcove the reserch skiffs for csun, laid out and collected gill nets . this resulted in the mortal destruction of hundreds of heavily egg laden white seabass, as well as every other concievable species swimming in the cove. these fish were thrown back dead as bycatch. The big question i have is who gives these guys the power to gillnet the cove just as these fish show up in mass to spawn. I was in the cove yesterday and saw hundreds of seabass balled up in spawn mode. These fish looked like a giant bait ball free swimming through the cove. It was a beautiful site. now the same fish were killed in the name of reseach to see how viable our waters are. Well i can tell you they sure were in good shape before the carnage. By the way we have 40 min of video capturing all of this. Need to make copies to send to fish and game and several other agencies that might be able to stop futher damage done to our ever depleted resorces. I for one am sick to my stomach that this **** still takes place in the name of science. For who? what kind of science wipes out a huge area of fish just to see if it is health. Not any more. These idiots just killed millions of our fish to be . The seabass never got a chance to spawn. Oh and is it ok to kill eveything else including at least one black seabass ...Horseshit. Anyways we need ideas and contacts to send the video to try to put a end to this kind of research. Im still in shock over this it was a big blow to west cove and our fishery. please let me know if any of you have any good ideas to get this lunacy stopped. Below is my letter so far. Dr.Allen, It has come to my attention that there was a massive gillnetting done recently in the West Cove area of Catalina by CSUN. Being a fisherman and a voter, I would like to inquire as to the reasoning of your staff behind such actions. The aim of increasing the White Seabass population would seem to be paramount in these days of Commercial Overfishing. To that end please inform us as to the reasoning behind gillnetting SPAWNING FISH. Regards, Michael Menard I will repost after I recieve a reply pro or con. Here is an audio/video link to eyewitness account http://976tuna.com/news.php?item.60298.1

This post edited by stryper 06/13/2008

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HD said:
Who is CSUN? You don't mean Calif. State University Northridge do you? What possible scientific benefit is this? We need to get this circulated...anyone get photos?!

Here is an audio/video link to an eyewitness account
http://976tuna.com/news.php?item.60298.1

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We need to keep this at the forefront of this site, maybe the moderators could move it to the top of the page ala their fishing reports.
This is something that must never happen again, I have never even seen a white seabass caught on a boat yet!

I would also ask if it would be possible to post a list of all concerned officials so Monday morning this is all they can talk about.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Dr Allen just replied to my email...

"We netted FIVE white seabass is West Cove on 6/12/08. Please see below.

I am a sportfisherman too. We need to study these things to preserve them. "

There's more....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thats a pretty short email...

And I must agree with FREEZER it's sound like a buch of BS :tu:

When I listen'd to OLD No.7 voice report they talk of other fish that were caught in these nets. Ray's, Shark's, Perch...and so forth.

What did these fish have to do with CSUN WSB study's?

It seem's like a real waste that these fish were caught and killed with no intention of keeping them for research or eating then tossed back in the water.:
It makes more sense to me to send down a diver with a video camera, think that would better perserve them (WSB) then to setup nets that would kill [email protected](

·
Registered
397 Posts
College: College of Science & Mathematics Department: Biology Contact Information: California State University, Northridge 18111 Nordhoff Street Northridge, CA 91330-8303 Email:[email protected] Phone: (818 677-3340 Fax: (818 677- Dr. Larry Allen's Website: http://www.csun.edu/biology/nmfrp/allen.html Research Interests I have had extensive experience working on the community ecology of California coastal marine fishes particularly those which occur in the bays, estuaries and harbors of Southern California. In addition, recent efforts have dealt with fish assemblages in kelp bed and rock reef areas in Southern California. Past research has also included investigations into biogeography of bay/estuarine and coastal marine fishes. My experience into the field of systematics has centered around the development and classification of clingfishes an their relatives (Gobiesociformes). Currently, my students and I are investigating life history and recruitment mechanisms in the young-of-the-year of several important commercial species of fish including white seabass, California halibut, kelp bass, barred sand bass, and spotted sand bass.

This post edited by ChuckyMonkeyMan 06/13/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
We should look at the film if it is available and give the researchers a chance to respond. The claim is made that only 5 WSB were caught. I really have no problem with fisheries research if done properly not as charactorized by the observations on the fishermen on te boat near by. But I would like to hear both sides of the story.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here's more talk on the subject.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/inshore-islands-fishing-reports-southern-california-usa/108299-horror-west-cove.html

If the video comes upcan someone forward it to me?

John

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Agreed Frank. Let's not forget that for DECADES there were miles and miles of gill nets surrounding our islands. And while they were obviously very destructive, even that level of abuse wasn't enough damage the fishery beyond repair. Limited levels of research like this, with one or two nets being set for a few of hours, does not sound like anything like the tragedy it's being played up as. How many seabass, calico, perch etc, are killed by a single sport boat in one season? If this was legitimate research (and I have heard nothing to indicate it was not) then this is not something we should be upset about. Bill

This post edited by WJW 06/13/2008

·
Registered
397 Posts
oden1viking said:
We should look at the film if it is available and give the researchers a chance to respond. The claim is made that only 5 WSB were caught. I really have no problem with fisheries research if done properly not as charactorized by the observations on the fishermen on te boat near by. But I would like to hear both sides of the story.
Good point....

We should wait for a better response from the researchers to hear there side of the story.

But I still think the nets are a bad idea and that the must be a better way of gathering info on WSB with out using nets to do it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I am pretty sure they set a few times a year at different spots and times. A well known 6 pack witnessed, but again 5 wsb, big deal. This is the same cove that kicks out some big bites on the spawn. I don't recall to much reaction a few years back when the cove gave everyone a 1 fish limit boat after boat including 40 angler sporties. CAT harbormaster should have been there with a bull horn guiding traffic! All those WSB totaling in the hundreds were just as egg laid en as all fish landed during spawn we seemed determined to kill year after year. I will go on record saying at the least they should close this cove to all fishing from March to June! WSB swim and eat all year long. I still think its strange most of Catalina WSB are all 35-60lb.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
My 2 cents . . .

Regardless of the outcome of this study, and regardless of the gear that was used to capture fish, do we (recreational anglers) have a concern about this?

YES!

But, it isn't exactly what folks who have posted here express.

What strikes me as obvious and admirable, is that we (Allcoast posters) are mostly concerned about the welfare of the fish and the possibility that high impact gear (otherwise banned) could be hurting an otherwise healthy resource. That simply isn't a problem, because this study on so small a scale and affects so few fish.

So what should we be concerned about?

We need to be diligent and critical about the as yet to be announced conclusions of this study, because it is on so small a scale and affects so few fish.

For folks who really want to get the official word on the status of our white seabass fishery, that very topic is on the agenda of the Fish & Game Commission, meeting in Upland (Yep, SoCal!!) Friday, June 27. At that time the Department of Fish and Game will present the Commission with their annual review of the white seabass management plan. Rather than drive to Upland just for this, I suggest that folks go to http://www.slo-span.org and watch the webcast.

My crystal ball predicts that our precious white seabass stocks will be declared very healthy.

If for some reason you believe otherwise, you really need to make the drive to Upland on Friday, June 27th and express your concerns to the Commission in public commentary.

-Joel
RFA SoCal

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It really does not matter how many sea bass were killed on this one set in question. What matters is a gill net was purchased with the intent to use it over and over again. A gill net does not care what it kills, including seals, black sea bass, yellowtail exc... A expierenced free diver could target the fish they need for examination. I'm sure there would be plenty of them that would sign up and ride the CSUN. Then all that fishing gear purchased unwisely could be destroyed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
ChuckyMonkeyMan said:
Currently, my students and I are investigating life history and recruitment mechanisms in the young-of-the-year of several important commercial species of fish including white seabass, California halibut, kelp bass, barred sand bass, and spotted sand bass.
wow thats real interesting considering were not even allowed to commercially fish kelp bass, barred sandies and spotted sandies. So how are they commercially important???
Sounds more like a monkey in a scientists coat to me, just like the rest of em

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.