Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fishing club just returned from an ON on the Fury out of Dana Wharf. Fishing was a little slow as we had no current.
1. 40.25 pound WSB
2. Yellowtail both under 10 pounds.
50 mix cuda, bonito and bass.
3/4 limits of rockfish..

Weather was great. Tons of flying fish at Navy Island. Sea Lions were a real pain. Had a osprey flying around looking for a meal. Food good. Bunkroom AC worked great. Skipper and crew worked hard.

My score. 1 yellowtail, 7 rockfish and 15 misc fish released.

·
Super Moderator
6,982 Posts
I've done well on the dorado color for yellows in the summer and a wounded soldier color for the calicos.
I have a few jigs in Dorado, but I don't think I've ever gotten bit on one. Never fished the wounded soldier.

The best yo-yo I ever had for yellows was an all-white Sea-Strike 33 heavy. I bet I got at least 30 fat yellows with that jig. Dang I was sorry to see it go. I think SeaStrike changed hands around that time.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I have a few jigs in Dorado, but I don't think I've ever gotten bit on one. Never fished the wounded soldier.

The best yo-yo I ever had for yellows was an all-white Sea-Strike 33 heavy. I bet I got at least 30 fat yellows with that jig. Dang I was sorry to see it go. I think SeaStrike changed hands around that time.
The dorado color I like for surface irons but the blue and white and scrambled egg for yo-yo type of fishing.

I was told by a few long time skippers they don't pay much attention to the color patterns. They always selected the irons that have the biggest offset hips in shape and not the ones that are symmetrical. Its about the action they have when reeling them in. The ones they have already tied on their rods usually have most of the paint worn off.

I'm curious why most of the manufacturers would not make sure their molds are consistent?

·
Super Moderator
6,982 Posts
I think there was a lot more inconsistencies in the past when there were a lot of low-cap shops doing low volume sand-casting. Anymore I think they are more uniform.

Sometimes I slay 'em, and sometimes I can throw a jig for an hour for nothing. I've gotten where I'll yo-yo when it's productive, but I'll only throw a top-water jig at something I can see.

My favorite way to catch fish is fly-lining live bait....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts