Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got home today to find a box on the door step. Opened it up and found a T-shirt and my flags for the Afishinados' "Capture the Flag" tournament. Anyone else sign up yet?

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Aloharob is in and so am I (as soon as I sign up... duh, forgot to do this at the FH show).

I was in last year and am looking forward to it again!!

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I saw some of the posters here discussing this last year.
I stopped by to introduce myself to John, chatted for 10-15, and he never brought it up.
Anyone that's has all the information on this please relay to John to SPLAT it up here for all to see.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
217 Posts
>Anyone that's has all the information on this please relay to
>John to SPLAT it up here for all to see.
>
>John.
>Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

Thanks for the invitation John, we must have been talking fish stories in the booth!

I created Capture the Flag last season and the guys and sponsors loved the month-long format. It runs from May 26th (Memorial weekend) to June 26 with the banquet on June 29th. My goal with Capture the Flag is to create an "everyman's" tounament where the weekend angler can get out and compete for cash and awards for catching the largest barracuda, bonito, calico, halibut, white sea bass and/or yellowtail. So there are six first place awards of $1000 for each species plus some incredible prizes. Last year we gave a $2300 Interphase TwinScope forward scanning sonar as a door prize!

Tournament boundaries include the coastal waters from Pt. Conception to Rio Sto. Thomas, MX. It is an individual entry, so your fish qualify whether you caught them on a kayak, a beach, a pier, a party boat or your own boat. For you kayak guys, this is an ideal tournament format, in fact we gave away a fisherman's kayak as another door prize last year.

The entry fee is $295 which includes a set of our Capture Flags (retail value of $84.75 for the 6 flag set), a tournament t-shirt and a banquet ticket. You weigh your at any landing with a certified scale and e-mail or fax them to me. If you Capture the Flag by upping the weight on the leaderboard you earn another door prize raffle ticket. The last angler holding the flag wins for each species.

Last year we also donated $1000 of the proceeds to United Anglers in the name of the angler who captured the heaviest set of the six species. We plan to do this again this year. We hope the AC guys come out and fish this tournament. It is a fun format, everybody won door prizes and I have added a number of good fisherman to my network of fishing buddies who share the good dope on the bites around Catalina Island (worth the price of admission!).

Here's the link to sign up. http://www.fishcatalina.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AE&Product_Code=CTFTE&Category_Code=CTFT

Sign 'em up and let's go fish for dough and prizes!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
This tourney is a very fun event. John updates the leader board each week so everyone can see what they are shooting for. The month-long format gives you the ability to fish when you have time or when "Fish the Tides Freddie" tells you that you should :). Lots of great guys fished last year and a bunch of new guys are looking to join this year.

Perhaps the best part of the tourney was the awards dinner. It was an absolute blast and literally everybody won a door prize including some really terrific big $ stuff. John, his wife Karen and their 3 kids do all the work and it's very much a family atmosphere. I brought my 10 year old son and we had a great time. The most fun awards event I've been to for a fishing tourney.

It would be great to see a bunch of AC'ers get into the game on Capture The Flag...even though my chances of repeating my crown will drop to near-zero :).

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Thanks John . .

Can you please share what the winning weights were for each of the 6 species last year?

John.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I better get in this year....sounds like too much fun! Besides it wouldn't be right if Rob won again......:)

I just want some of that good WSB dope........!!

I better clear my calender for that month now so I can fish.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds like fun. I'm signing up via the web link now......some HEAVY HITTERS are already in it sounds like.
SCALLYWAG
Edgewater 22CC

·
Registered
217 Posts
The heavy hitters that you are referring to are scared to death of some of the sticks on this and the other board. I can assure you that there will be at least one and maybe two of the flags taken by kayak anglers. Truth is, we keep the cash award low ($1000 per flag) and we pump up competition for getting raffle tickets. This keeps the competition friendly and helps us to spread the love as broadly among the participants as possible. You get raffle tickes by 1) signing up early. 2) upping the weight on the leaderboard and 3) recruiting your friends and having them sign up. Ray Deeter won the big prize last year by recruiting three people to fish the tournament. It was one of those tickets that won the sonar. Get your friends to sign up and make sure to get to the dinner even if you don't catch a qualifier you can still win big in Capture the Flag.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts