Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i get hit with a little more each year... i guess thats pretty normal in cali... this year it will cost me $1518.00 for my F&G licenses... i guess its a bargain...

·
Registered
683 Posts
John: I'm wondering why they charge so much for Commercials. ??

On the flip-side, Recreationals get hit hard majorly both in the wallet and at the ramps and while offshore, especially during the weekends. It's totally about making coin$ and is beyond bogus. F$G.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
John, You get commercial fuel rates at the docks right? If so, what kind of disparity is that to the good guy rec price? How has fuel costs affected your business, and decisions to fish these days? I know from our side it's had a huge effect on the decisions to go long, or even exploratory trips, thus less info out there, are you experiencing the same, and how do you cope? Are you fishing different species because of it? Thanks for your continued invaluable input! Bill

·
Banned
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
commercial fuel rates in avila??...lol... no... no such luck... last fuel up was $ 2.65 plus tax.... i burn about 1 1/2 gal per hour at albacore trolling speed... it only gets better from there.... to 'make it pay' in commercial fishing these days takes luck and sound decisions... lately i'm lacking both... but thats winter for you....luck comes in cycles... but whenever the luck goes bad, it can almost always be made up with tenacity, its just a matter of lowering your expectations....... first rule in commercial fishing is to save your money and invest it well,second is its best to accept the fact that you tried your best and you catch what you catch...push your luck and bad things happen

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
John, It seems that fuel will continue to rationalize all of our decisions going forward! It also sounds like those that do go long with less pressure would/should be rewarded the spoils. Sounds good on the internet, but in reality? Anyway, your girl sounds awefully efficient and will treat you right. Next time I'm in the area, I'll announce myself and buy you lunch if your in town. Bill

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Fuel breaks for commercial boats.. ROTFLMAO!!!

Taurus, I have a solution to put more green back into your wallet...Call me.

Capt.Flattymatty
"PREVAILER"

"to fish or not to fish..now that's a dumb question!"

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Matt, Maybe not in your Harbor, but in LA harbor, and Newport, Commercial pricing is commonplace! Think about it, who uses more fuel, and if you were a fuel dock, would'nt you give the best rate to your best customers?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Wideopen, one would think so, but not up here. I'm making my own fuel now, so it doesn't matter anymore. I took myself out of the fuel $pike. Shoulda done it a long time ago! That's what I was going to tell Taurus. Average gallon runs me about .85 cents to produce. Besides, I'm hoping the fish will be attracted to the smell of french fries!! lol

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
So your making your own biodiesel, can you eloborate as to your aquisition of the used cooking oil, the process, and finally, your power, including type of injection pump ect? Biodiesel is notorious for F$%ing up these pumps and injectors, I'd like to hear your experience. Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The secret is in the settling, heating and filtration. It's really a pain in the arse, but still worth it for my application. I use a 5 stage micron system, combined with a custom made gravity/sediment seperator, stage two tank heater (electric jacuzzi heater, evaporates micro h2o and thins oil for better filtration), water seperator, and 3 seperate 100 gallon storage tanks. good as gold, lots of work and maintainence. I also test the purity by boiling a bit on the stove and throwin' in some fishsticks..LOL no, but really, boiling a sample in a clear bowl and letting it cool will let you see how pure it is.

It's all still a messy pain though, only worth the effort if you plan on burning a lot of fuel and have the extra time and patience to do it all. the oil is everywhere, dohnut oil is the best! I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who will shoot holes in my system, but whatever, it works very well, and is just as good as the stuff at the pump, if not better. LOL.. I even thought of adding green dye for schits and giggles...

Capt.Flattymatty
"PREVAILER"

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Also, I use the gasoline kerosine veggie oil formula, not the crossover tank/injector conversion.

pour my own lead, make my own ice too. gotta find ways to save $$ in this industry, right Taurus?

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Matt, Your response was facinating....and I will be taking this offline,however I am very curious as to your set up as to aquisition of the oil initially and that process as to how you get it to the first stage? I have my reasons.....Bill

·
Banned
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
matt,
sorry for the late replie, i just got in....weather cut the trip short again, this time a snotty SE blow ...man it was COLD out there!

i've looked into making fuel from cooking oil....i came to the same conclusion..you really need to be able to produce and store a considerable volume to make it worth all the time and trouble...i just don't have the time.
i hear you on shaving dollars any way you can... pouring your own lead, buying gear in bulk once a year, generally making and doing things yourself or with friends....it all helps, but i mostly find that the best way to put more money in my wallet is to CATCH MORE FISH !..i try

thanks for the thought, good luck....john

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Don't go buying any stock anytime soon, we are a long way away from this becoming mainstream, but getting closer! Oregon, Washington, and Northern California have made a committment to it, and are making good inroads, but the practical reality is that the mainstream price per gallon far exceeds pump price diesel right now....as well as some of the dangers to the equipment if not properly refined and processed. This is one solution, but not the only one, and will be a good one in the future.....these things take time!

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
" I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who will shoot holes in my system, " I get it. Donut holes. :) Is it true you save the squid eggs and raise them at home ?
Just havin fun with you Matty. But you do need to let the neighbors know what you are doing to avoid a late night visit from the DEA.
Photo Ho

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
LOL..

Actually, I top off my neigbor's tractor for him...I'm lucky enough to live on farm land, so I have more room. I'm thinking of getting a 4th storage tank for stock piling :) More than likely I will be back at the pump due to lack of time during the season though.

Capt.Flattymatty
"PREVAILER"

·
Registered
683 Posts
Mark down at Ventura Hbr has been selling high grade diesel for about 40-cents cheaper than what he charges to the general public. He also places an additive in the fuel. Knowing this, best to dump the french fry grease and go with a proven product as replacement parts for a high-end diesel engine are way too expensive to even consider taking this kind of chance.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Mike, Your comment makes a lot of sense! If you have an old ford Pickup diesel with classic injection systems, then...yes they are very tolerant...however with the new electronic systems out there...I would'nt dare do this....there will be no savings in the long run with maintence! The market is changing, and processes as well are evolving. As things do change, I will update as this is an integral part of what I do for a living....Bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts