All Coast banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok we want all sugestions, flaming, bad jokes, etc, I have my flack jacket on, so let it rip. My buddy has pretty much talked me into going to the lupe, soon. Boat, 25' Farallon whaleback full cabin, 200 hp volvo diesel very low hours, duoprop, spare props, 6 man life raft, epirb, 3 gps, no radar, 150 gals fuel, about 3.5 avg mpg. we will take about 60 gals extra fuel. Not planning on traveling at night.
So if its nasty on the way back can we head to east to San Martin, Old Mill, and then head up to Ensenada?

Jim - reel passion - 25'Farallon

·
Registered
307 Posts
guadeloupe 28 53.00 x 116 18.00
san diego 32 40.00 x 117 15.00

232 nautical miles x 2 = 487 nautical miles round trip. Add in AT LEAST 5% steering error since a 25' boat does not go very straight, especially coming home uphill. 487 x 1.05 = 511 nautical miles. 10% steering error would be a safer calc: 1.10 x 487 = 535

add in x nautical miles for circling the island and trolling. 100??

635 miles / 12 knots = 53 hours

Fuel 150 + 60 = 210 gallons.

Say you burn 4 gallons an hour, which is a very realistic figure for a small Volvo. 210/4 = 52.5 hours. That means you have zero margin for error, emergencies, etc. Zero room for deteriorating weather.

Rule of 3rds: 1/3 reserve: 140 gallons for planned navigation. 140 x 3.5 = 490 nautical miles. 70 gallons for the things you never expected that happen allllll the time.

No cigar, amigo.

Start shaving the safety reserve of fuel at your very real peril that far south. Weather kicks up and you will watch your fuel consumption zoom.

http://www.wcrl.ars.usda.gov/cec/java/lat-long.htm

I'd suggest first loading the boat exactly as if you were doing that magnitude of a trip into Mexico (all the extra weight of everything you need for the desired trip), but see what kind of speed and fuel burn you get in 24 hours going north. Say, circling the Cortez and Channel Islands to Santa Barbara and back down to EssDee. At least if you get in a tough spot going outside the Channel Islands up to Point Conception, you've learned what the boat can really do within reasonable range of a bunch of harbors.

sano

(spent 2 days tucked in hid at el moro, 2 more beating hard to weather, from Guadeloupe back to SanDiego)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what type of boat where you in? and did u do well at guadalupe? Thanks for the response, not looking very doable, perfect weather cant be counted on, and its a bit further than Id like or thought.

Its 176 miles from San Quitin, but still not looking good for too many reasons.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you leave from San Quintin you will be doing yourself a favor becouse the trip out will be a bit harder but the trip home will be a lot better. I would bring a 100 Gallon Fuel bladder not cans so the storage is better and be prepared to hunker down at Lupe if the weather gets bad.

Leaving from San Quintin means you will have to make bait as making bait at lupe can sometimes be tough. I would leave in the day spend the night outside the harbor making bait leave at 1 AM get to lupe while its still light as to find an anchorage rather then leave in the day and arrive at lupe in the dark.

So if you leave from San Quintin the round trip is lets say 360 mile's and giving a 20% navagation swinging thats 75 more miles so now you at 435 miles and give yourself 100 miles at the island now your up to 535 you say you get 3.5 per gallon so lets be safe and say 2 miles per gallon so you will need 214 gallons and a 15% reserve is 246 gallons.

Now the weight 50 gallons of water in the bait tank 20 gallons of water in the holding tank 240 gallons of fuel 2 guys all the equiptment thats 1920 pounds of fuel, 630 pounds of water, 500 pounds of people and 500 pounds of gear.

25 feet of boat is very small out there and a single engine has no backup so if you need to go then go but be very carfull and if you think you hear something not right dont keep going turn around and count you blessings.

If it were me I would keep driving the 17 hours in my truck and do the whole Baja area from San Quintin to Cabo but that just me.

Don

·
Registered
307 Posts
The thing is, this is all guessing.

Until and unless the owner of the vessel knows the boats HOURLY FUEL BURN with the boat LOADED AS IT WILL BE FOR THE BIG TRIP ... it's just guessing.

Do you really want to find yourself in a 25' single engine powerboat, 150 miles offshore of baja, not knowing?

It is the responsibility of the owner/operator to know. A 100 gallon bladder on a 25' boat is a substantial load altering factor. A simulated trip north of the border, loaded as it would be for a trip into Mex, he'll learn what he needs to know before he goes into "unprotected" waters.

·
Registered
980 Posts
As I said I would hit San Quintin then Mulege, Loredo, La Paz, Cabo, then Todos Santos Mag Bay.

It's 16 hours to Lorado from the border if the conditions are right. fish are in front. Another 4 to La Paz big city I dont like it. then Cabo is another 9 hours away.

Why get your As% kicked when you can drive in comfort and catch the same fish within sight of the shore.

Don

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
You will need to get some of the pretty orange wrist bands, (One per day, per person fishing.), to be able to fish at Guadalupe now.

Other than that, let us know when you are leaving so that we can all pray for you.

Let's review for a moment................

No radar.

Auto pilot? (To hold best course for fuel conservation?)

How many VHF radios? (I hope two at least with good antennas!)

150 gallons of fuel, (with 60 extra gallons), @ 3.5 miles per gallon avg. (What avg. cruise speed?)

3 GPS's..............so you'll know where you are if you break down or run low on fuel. (How long will you be at the island and how much looking will you do?)

I think that you and your buddy are nucking futs!

FISH HARD!

Chris

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
You are some 150 nm off in Mex waters in a 25'? While I've not been there, I know that the weather at the Lupe can become way nasty quick...

I'm sure there are guys who will support this kind of trip (assuming fuel issues can be worked out etc.) but I'm not one of them. I think you'd be asking for serious trouble. Again, I know there are guys at the Cortez in 18' footers etc. but the US CG will cover you there at least. Once you go into Mex waters, it gets real iffy. The US CG might get to you there...or they might not.

In fact, I wouldn't take my boat to Guadelupe unless I had a larger mothership to buddy with and carry fuel for me.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DUDE we are not well Im not, thats why I posted to get good info, and I have to agree unless there where like 2 mother ships along i dont like being that far offshore, rather fish baja, like gordo banks etc.

Thanks a lot for your input.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HI Gary,

Well after weighing the experienced guys input i dont like what ive heard about not being able to anchor, and the bait situation, we can take a scoop and a half in n fifty gal tank thats it. I want to get into YFT over 50 lb. and there where sure those at gordo banks very recently , that makes more sense, no one can quanantee good weather, no death wish here.
Any size or volume to the moro albies, do you know?

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Move out of state Jim, your place ought to have a little equity :7
that, or get a spot @ verdugos, maybe leave your boat there. or buy a little panga, to leave there like Salsa does... fart and fish Drink
and fart somemore

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Not...I wouldn't go there in less than a 50' boat...that is one place where you do not want to have to swim for it....plus, you will probably eat it trying to run uphill coming back...

·
Registered
980 Posts
I,ve done Baja 2 times if your not in a hurry the roads are fine, dont drive at night and remember it only gets better after San Quintin.

Here are some tips I wish someone told me before my first trip I wasted two days with only a handfull of small fish.

1)Go into the local tackle store and hire a guide it will pay off and they only charge $20-$50 bucks but that can make or break your day they know where the local reefs are.

2)After the day of fishing if you tip the guide they will wash and clean your rig for you while you enjoy the relaxed envirement with a beer and let me tell you I didnt know my boat could be so clean.

3) if you plan on fishing an area for more then one day let the guide know that you need live bait and he will have his brother, cousin, or uncle make it the night before for a small fee.

4) Relax enjoy your vacation let them be the captain thats what you are paying them for, have a beer, enjoy the sun, and did I say relax.

Don

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Nucking Futs and diputs ssa...

I am laughing my ssa off right now.

There is a guy that did a trip from Sandy Eggo round the point and up the Sea of Cortez in a 25 footer. He wrote a great story in one of the local mags. Maybe he will chime in.
CHRIS
A/K/A Private Boat "Fin-Addict"

1 - 20 of 37 Posts