All Coast banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading over to Cat on Thurs, am on the new Trojan 11 meter, well an '88 but new to us. Any word on squid, don't really want to make the youngin's catch it all. Also, I have heard that the 61' to 62' degree water is the ticket. Any hot spots out there so I can get my 6 and 8 yr old on some fish?? Thanks......
KP

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Suggest you take some bass spinning rods and chrome Krocadiles for the kids.There are bonita in front of Avalon; also, sandabs on cut squid at 100' and deeper..weatherwise, you may be limited to the inside..halibut are showing in the sand coves and wsb are probably near the remaining squid along the inside from Avalon to Long Point and the Isthmus reef areas..The kids would probably have a good time if you stopped at the Isthums snack shack for burgers...:)

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Congratualtions on the new ride!!

In terms of action for the kids, Long Beach Bob has you pretty well covered. You could also go around the corner to Seal Rock and fish the kelp for Calico action.

From Bill Morris's post above, it looks like the squid boats are in front of Avalon, so good luck!

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip. How are the kids with the boat? I am working my 5 yo up to an island trip and eventually an overnighter. I am trying to take it slow so as to not provide a bad expereince hence ruining all hope of a lifelong fishing buddy.
CHRIS
A/K/A Private Boat "Fin-Addict"

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Chris,

Your 5yo will be fine provided he/she is not the type to get seasick. My two boys are 10 and 8 and they love it. From what I found, they love the ride over the best. When not fishing, they either watch a DVD or play their Gameboys. To be honest, I enjoy fishing with them better than with my buddies who never seem to agree on which spot we should fish. As I mentioned before, seasickness will ruin the experience for anyone, so make sure you are prepared. I hope this helps.

Jeff
The Dalton Boys
21ft Parker

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Chris, buy a roll of Tums anti-acid and give him one to suck on a half hour before you leave..they contain some of the same componets as seasick medicines...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kids are great, so far. Waiting for that "nightmare" trip. Has not happend yet. They are 6 and 8 and love to "catch" fish. Trying to teach them that its called fishing not catching. 1/2 Bonine or Dramamine and they are good. Sounds like the WSB are hard to come buy. Will probably fish the Calico's near the rock quary and seal rock, head a little bit on the back side depending on wheather. Should be back on Fri or Sat if the wheather and fishing is too good. Will give ya and update and thanks for info.

KP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts