All Coast banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends -

Does anyone here know someone who has a 55-60 Foot Boat that would be willing to "donate" as the GRAND MARSHALL BOAT for the Huntington Harbor Boat Parade. The owner would have to be willing to skipper his boat for two nights, the second weekend in December. The Philharmonic will decorate the boat with White Lights, etc..

This year's Marshall does not have boat that large and is looking for help. If you know someone, they do not even have to be ported in Huntington Harbor because the Philharmonic can get them a Dock for the weekend, please let me know.

I told him that I would post here for him.

Please e-mail me: [email protected]

Thanks,

Chris

(951) 691-9691

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
If I understand this correctly, you are looking for a boat to house the Grand Marshall and their ensuing posse....whomever that may be for two nights of free harbor cruising during the parade. These people are not a charity or in need, but mostly government officials, and people with connections and juice as it were in most Grand Marshall situations. That being the case, and if is the case, why would you need to solicit here for this request when their connections lie deep within their own constituency? If I missed the mark then feel free to correct me. Bill

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
I dunno...

It seems those trawler dudes have too much pent up energy.

I guess I'd get frustrated too when 'Wideopen' is defined as 8.00001 knots... :)

There should be a disclaimer on that board...

Enter your own risk... (or was that reserved for the politcal board??? :) )

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
How dare you two....Wide open is a solid 10.5 knots with a solid 9 knot cruise.....dammit we cool trawler guy's never get any respect! :eek: At least we get all the chicks! ;)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
OK Bill...you've been officially called out...I'm "all-in"...I want to see that thing hit 10.5 knots. The only chance of that happening is if you take off all the Bud Lite...in which case you'll probably find out you are massively underpropped and the boat can do 14 knots LOL!!

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
LMAO....

11 knots???

So, do you plan to hit the boosters (i.e. dump both heads at once)??? :) :) :)

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry I asked for help.

Bill, your boat would be big enough! You wouldn't have to go 11 Knotts in the Harbor.

Honeslty though, the parade is a fund raiser to help support the OC music mobile which receives no other funding to bring music to schools throughout SOuthern California. The program is to show students about the history of music and how it is a part of every culture and how music is the foundation of many societies.

Anyway, if someone has a larger boat, please let me know. I am certain they would pay for your fuel and if they won't, I will.

Its for the kids.

Chris.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Chris,

Shoot me an email with the details as to what's needed, how many people, expectations, etc. I'm in Japan the first full week of December and would am tentively heading home on Dec. 8th, arriving LAX on the 8th.

The only catch is my schedule does vary and there is a chance I head to Germany opposed to coming home on the 8th, but that won't be clear for another few weeks.

The boat isn't quite as big as you'd like 44' vs 55', but it's beamy, roomy and if it worked out schedule wise, I'd be happy to help.

My cell # is 949-310-5118 or you can email me at [email protected]

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Chris,

I will echo your sentiments that this is a very worthy cause. The HH Parade's Grand Marshall is a working post for a volunteer with a variety of responsibilities (it's not a dignitary or politician). The individual has to work up through the ranks for several years (lots of volunteer hours) to be GM. The whole Parade of Lights raises lots of $ for good causes. Various of my family members have volunteered over the years in different capacities. Having a big enough boat is not (and should not) be a criteria for an otherwise worthy individual willing to volunteer his time to rise through the ranks to be GM.

My boat is not big enough but Firstwatch's would be (I've seen smaller GM boats than that in the Parade over the years if I recall correctly). And Firstwatch is a GREAT guy so maybe that can work out.

Good luck and it's good of you to help out your buddy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rob and Bill:

Thank you. I offered my boat to him as well, but my boat is only 39' long. Rob, in fact you know my boat because we went out of the Breakwater twice together this past summer. The boats name is "Bad Tuna Bone" I call out only as "Bad Tuna".

I have seen Bill's boat and I called Ron to see if Bill's would work.

I also have a call into Jennie O and R/C Systems (Both 50 footers) to see if they are willing to do it.

I agree about the fundraising aspect and we participate every-year at an enormous cost and "danger" the night of the parade for the sure pleasure we are helping. The hours Ron has spent over the years is in the 10's of thousands, so, yes, this is not a dignitary job.

As for his guests...well, maybe they are.

Thanks again.

Chris.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Chris, I hope you didn't think I was trying to be an ####, as I am well versed in the parades, and running boats in them....have done it for many years! I get asked every year by many, mostly in NB...Try to say no, but sometimes...well. Anyway, I asked because I was under the assumption that like in NB, it's the city Councilman, Mayor and the like.

Anyway, I believe that is the same weekend as the Alamitos boat parade, so we will already be committed. Sorry of the missunderstanding. Bill

PS: Of course those other guys egging it on didn't help! Damn fishing friends! :D

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Much as I hate to admit it...old wideopen is about as good a guy as you'll find. However, I do like to make him look like a callous cad any time the opportunity presents itself. It's my small revenge for him constantly dropping pix on the internet of me sleeping while in the pit during marlin tournaments...and for clogging the head of my boat whenever I take him fishing (I'm investigating whether I can put a turbocharged motor on my vacuflush).

None of this helps Chris help his friend though it does bump the thread in the hopes that somebody sees it and can help...hope it works out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bill M.

I know you are a great guy - everyone knows you are. That's why I posted to you.

We've fished the same water, we've played in the same tournaments. You'd recognize the boat if you saw it.

I will definately be in the parade this year. We won SWEEPSTAKES two years in a row now...I know that the Lakers failed on the three-peat...but I hope we are not so unluky!!!

Chris.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts