All Coast banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to private boating. What does it mean when someone refers to fishing at the "209" or the "181"?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
high spots on the ocean floor...181 means 181 fathoms deep, 209 means 209 fathoms deep....

fathom is 6 meet, so the 181 is 1086 feet deep.....these high spots are area pelagic species will congregate due to up swells of warm currents....

If I am wrong, someone please correct me. :)

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
RE: try this link

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=312&topic_id=190111&mesg_id=190111&listing_type=search

·
Registered
827 Posts
To find them, not knowing where they are, find out the general area. Then look on your chart and you'll see corresponding depth numbers.

An easy one to find the - "181" = look just about due west of La Jolla Canyon ( ya cann't miss it). The 277 = look south east of the east end of Catalina.

The only spanner in the works is you may find more than one location / set of some of the numbers. Usually one set is the commonly known "spot".

Hope this helps some, not get out there and

Getem', Capt'n Skip

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
As above, it's the high points on the underwater "mountain tops". Check this out, and see the red circles: http://www.angelfire.com/realm/keenfish/Sea_Chart.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm also new to ocean fishing. I'm done with the fresh water stuff. To help me get started with ocean fishing, I've taken some Coast Guard Aux. classes and I highly recommend the same for you. If you live in southern CA, USCG Auxillary is starting a 16 week course that I'm also taking. Its beginning and advance coastal navigation and GPS. Just go to the USCG web site and it will direct you to the classes. The 16 week course in San Diego begins Aug. 21, every Monday for 16 weeks. If you have'nt already done so, I recommend you take the boating safety and basic seamanship class first. I'm finding out REEL fast that ocean boating is a whole different world than lake/river boating. Happy Boating!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts