Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How man of you own a late 80's early 90's Whaler, 17ft Montauk? I'm trying to help someone with some rigging and I have a few questions? Thanks!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
My 17' Whaler is a much earlier vintage and not rigged in original condition but if I can help I will. My home email is not working so I will reply in this thread.
www.continuouswave.com is also a great site for Whaler related issues.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Every thing goes thru the tube. Steering, shift, throttle and electrical. Alot of people relocate their batteries to the console to save on weight in the stern as well. I have yet to do that myself but with a bait tank behind the reversable pilot seat it would be a plus.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matt,

Is there any chance you know the lengths of the steering cable and the shift cables? Any pics? Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sorry Stefan. It has been a long time and I don't know the lengths any longer.
The steering cable I purchased from Boatswains Locker in Newport Bch. I believe they just looked it up in the Teleflex book for me. Schock Boats should be able to give you the lengths as well. I think Teleflex also makes a slick hydaulic coversion for outboards as well at about $160. I'll see if I can find a link.

Here it is. This is what I will do when I have to replace my helm in the future.
http://www.saveonboating.com/proddetail.asp?prod=LNS1%2DH&cat=95

Ok, Got a couple of pics. Keep in mind this is a 1963 hull in rough shape so please excuse the mess.

The steering cable housing measures 15 ft. I believe you add 18" to the length when ordering so this would be a 16.5 ft cable.

This is bound to get moved to the tech board real soon.

·
Registered
745 Posts
No problem Stefan. I really recomend the Continuous Wave website for any rigging issues. There are some extreemly knowlegeable people there. If you are into classic Whaler boats you will be amazed at some of the restorations by members there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts