Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...but not for fishing. We are going to be on the big island in a couple of weeks, and I'm interested in taking the family to see Kilauea from the ocean side. Can someone recommend a boat that can be chartered for that purpose? We found one place called Lava Ocean Adventures, but they were very pricey (I could charter a boat in the LA area for full day for what they charge to take the family on a 3-hour tour). We prefer the Hilo side of the island since it is mcuh closer to the volcano.

·
Registered
259 Posts
"Who is this from? This Lava Ocean Adventures, is a aluminum cat, about 40 feet with twin Honda outboards. To my knowledge, it is the only charter boat in Hilo that goes to the lava flow but no way he can do it, roundtrip, in three hours. The flow is about 50 miles from Hilo! Maybe on the SuperFerry!

Another legal, charter outfit is called Lobo Del Mar. They have several different boats and activities going such as a 36 foot cabin cruiser type boat that would be ok on a decent day, smaller boats and kayaks. A great trip would be to kayak from Hilo boat ramp to the waterfall on the Wailuku river; very safe and and easy one hour paddle each way. I think they have a website".

Take the comments for what their worth...this came from a long time Hilo resident and hard-core ocean person...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bullethead. The 3-hour tour came from Lava Ocean's website: . Besides, it has a nice Gilligan's Island ring to it (I hope the weather doesn't start getting rough because the tiny ship would get tossed!!). I'll check out the other recommendation as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.