Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought that hit me. Maybe I am full of chit, maybe not.

With the cost of fuel for private boaters, now requiring $500 or more in some cases to fill up, how many will drydock their boats for now, and spend their fuel budget on long range trips.

I think quite a few will, if they do a cost analysis.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
AZ. I think you should share that stateroom with the guy with olive oil. LMAO. They just might, but PB's as a rule of thumb take wknd trips cpl times a month or use too before high prices. They might just consolidate an take a cpl 2/3 day trips cpl times a year. just my .02

Hollywood

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Iron Thrower said:
AZ. I think you should share that stateroom with the guy with olive oil. LMAO. They just might, but PB's as a rule of thumb take wknd trips cpl times a month or use too before high prices. They might just consolidate an take a cpl 2/3 day trips cpl times a year. just my .02

Hollywood
I now have a high tech gadget, that can detect electrical devices that vibrate and olive oil. Been working on it for a while, it works in the supermarket.:p:p

I will scan all long range luggage, on my next trip. lol

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
LOL - can't even do much short range knee deep fishn for $500 anymore. Doesn't really matter IMHO whether you spend it on your own fuel or share the rail with 20 new buddies - the cost of saltwater fishing is getting past many folks' confort level.

·
Registered
794 Posts
HD said:
You can't fish long range for $500........
LR fishing is considerably more expensive.........
I agree HD - for $500 you would only get a 1.5 day trip on an LR boat.

I get his drift though which is that PBers on the margin might get less (what was that term from freshman economics - ah yes - "utility") utility from spending more on gassing up their own rigs versus simply jumping on a LR trip. I made that decision along time ago that I would rather take LR trips than buy, outfit, tow, insure, and maintain my own boat.

But on the other side of the coin I doubt it would make LR bookings "sky rocket" either. I think the cost of fuel and goods in general etc may deter people from purchasing new boats. If you really need to cut back on expenses then the PB will proably get sold and folks will be paying mortages, buying gas, and food rather than converting the PB "playing" funds to LR trips..........

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Last time I checked, the 315 gal fuel tank would take a bit more than $500 to top off!

Still less than a long range trip if we bring 4 fishing friends along with!

These days, I'm thinking Mag Bay trips, staying at my friends house, and fishing to groves and banks that are only 30 miles offshore.

Even when adding in the cost of airfare, it still beats riding on a boat for 10 or more days and only fishing 4-6 of those days, imho.

Plus, the view from the front porch is priceless. The fresh shrimp and lobster off the dock even better priced. The $1 fresh tacos from Catus Taco in Lopez even a better deal!

Plus as a private boater you get to pick your crew, that can be priceless compared to some boat rides I have taken!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Interesting notion. I wish I could fill up for $500. My fuel tank holds 400 gallons.8* So at $5.33 a gallon (MDR price last week) that comes to $2,[email protected] Thank god a full tank lasts me for a while. ;)

I love long range fishing, but there is nothing like finding your own fish with your own crew. I will be doing more of the 2-3 day trips on my boat though instead of mere full day or overnight trips.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
Two completely different types of fishing....both are lots of funs but not the same at all for the reasons the PBers have stated....

The 1 and 2 day charter fleet IMO is gonna take a lickin if the albies don't show in numbers this year. JMO

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
fishybuzz said:
Two completely different types of fishing....both are lots of funs but not the same at all for the reasons the PBers have stated....

The 1 and 2 day charter fleet IMO is gonna take a lickin if the albies don't show in numbers this year. JMO

No kidding Fishy. Was wondering if the day boats charge a FS? I mean they are only fishing locally, I think. Haven't been on one for years. The last trip Fishy an I were on was a ST 3 day few weeks back. The FS was 20 a day on that boat. Going on a 8 day in 2 more weeks an don't know what it is yet, but it will be worth it.

Hollywood

·
Registered
394 Posts
I see it this way. 5-day trips in July on the big boats will be canceled and re-scheduled as alot of 2 and 3 day trips. IMHO the people with the money will still do the 10+ day trips, but with the cost of fishing some people will cut back on days at sea.

Shogun 5-day $1500.00
Shogun 3-day $ 920.00

You save $580.00. This gives you a shot at a 2 or 3 day trip in late Sept. on one of the smaller boats.

I hope the fish are close this year.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
AZFISHKILLER said:
... Maybe I am full of chit, maybe not.
This is purely subjective and a topic for another thread.

AZFISHKILLER said:
... With the cost of fuel for private boaters, now requiring $500 or more in some cases to fill up, how many will drydock their boats for now, and spend their fuel budget on long range trips.

What do you guys think?
I think, since you asked, PB'ing is about more than fishing. Just as Sport-boats are about more than just fishing. I like both. Fishing and the ocean just happen to be a common occurrence between them.

·
Super Moderator
6,962 Posts
Gnarly said:
I see it this way. 5-day trips in July on the big boats will be canceled and re-scheduled as alot of 2 and 3 day trips. IMHO the people with the money will still do the 10+ day trips, but with the cost of fishing some people will cut back on days at sea.

Shogun 5-day $1500.00
Shogun 3-day $ 920.00

You save $580.00. This gives you a shot at a 2 or 3 day trip in late Sept. on one of the smaller boats.

I hope the fish are close this year.

I see it this way:

The 3-day gives me 1 ½ days of fishing, that?s $613 per fishing day.
The 5-day gives me 3 ½ days of fishing, that?s $428 per fishing day.
The 8-day gives me 6 ½ days of fishing, that?s $337 per fishing day.

You actually save money by taking longer trips! :tu:

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
AZFISHKILLER said:
Just a thought that hit me. Maybe I am full of chit, maybe not.

With the cost of fuel for private boaters, now requiring $500 or more in some cases to fill up, how many will drydock their boats for now, and spend their fuel budget on long range trips.

What do you guys think?
Rory touched on the actual days of fishing per long range trip.

Previous threads have ALL OF THE LR GUYS saying how much more important it is to be able to socialize than it is to actually catch fish.

cost analysis of about $1000 per day of actual fishing without caring to catch fish x 6 guys on my trawler is looking like a WINDFALL por moi.

GOTCHER RONKIE GEAR READY? :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.