All Coast banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: HOW ANGRY SHOULD I BE

I would contact the BBB and see how many other complaints they have had against them. Also call the manufacture and let them know what has transpired. I am sure they will goto bat for you.I think when you called me you also mentioned that the oil was never replaced. If that is so I would be upset to say the least. Your first oil change is one of the most important. IMO Good luck. See you on Saturday.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

I would be pissed...but how did you miss three days of work?

And what were you having the oil checked for...I would assume metal fragments...but I was told when i bought my first boat, the first service should be done at 20 hours,,,basically just a oil change (check fo metal shavings) and fluid level check, then bring it back for a full 50 hour service.....then 100, etc.

Just trying to understand what exactly happen....

They did everything but the oil change?

They came back and changed the filters for you, and will/did refund any labor fee's for work not done.

I'm just trying to figure if the oil analysis was needed.

Don't miss understand me..YOU HAVE a right to be pissed, especially if deception was involved. If deception was involved, I would call the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint.

At the very least they should have refunded your money for work not done, then did what they were suppose to have done at no charge. Which it sounds like they did.
AT the very most, they should have offered to pay for your next routine 100 hour servie, just a way of saying sorry, and hoping to stop from getting any bad press like this.

If you don't plan on doing more business with them, i would at least file a complaint with BBB.

devils advocate...
Maybe the mechanic could not get the filter off, and planned on coming back to the oil change after he preformed other maintenance items, but forgot...

Have you had other work done by Allison? If so, And were you happy.

Also, will doing the routine hourly maintenance yourself affect your warranty? Just wondering.

Anyway, that's my 2 and half cents.

I feel your pain...been through very similar problems.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts

That's one of the reasons I like to do as much work on my stuff as possible--because I know it's done right. The worst part is when you get charged top dollar for labor that is done by a minimum wager. Any mechanic that was paid what he was worth wouldn't screw somebody on an oil change!

You're best resource is probably to just spread the word about what they did. Jiffylube got busted for doing exactly that--and I'm sure after that aired on TV they lost a lot of business!

I think getting the oil analyzed was probably a waste. There's going to be metal shavings in the first oil change.

The dealer should have apologized, refunded your money from the service not done, and offered a free service.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts

There are two types of people in the world Jim.
There are those that say what they do, and there are those that do what they say.
Nothing worse than someone you put your trust in to do something, and then they don't do it.
And when you have to pay for something that wasn't done.
Annnnnd when someone insults your intelligence by telling you something
WAS done, and you know beyond a showow of a doubt it wasn't done.
And you just spent all this money on their product and you're treated like this/that.

I'd be steaming mad if that happened to me, no two ways about it! x(

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
576 Posts

Volvo says 20 to 50 hours. I had the oil checked because the motor had 64 hours on it, and proof to show if oil was old or not.I will post pics of filter case and the impeller.It was scatched to look like the work was done not missed or forgot, he got caught trying to cheat.As for the days one day to take the boat down, one to pick up, one to get oil,and oil sucker, time on phone looking for filters and parts and changeing the oil.

·
Registered
761 Posts

i have heard of many unethical things about this company, If they are the one's in Newport. My buddy baught a brand new Stripper from them and it has spent more time in the shop then on the water, every time it goes in the shop it sits on the floor for weeks/months. It is in there as i write this message. I stay clear of them no matter what happens.
Chris

·
Registered
102 Posts

You should be pissed off. Reputation, or word of mouth will end up hurting any business. Especially one that depends on repeat customers, and service. I also have had my day in the sun with those guys, and will not be getting my next boat, if I ever do, from them. Similar story to yours with the addition of a prop meant for a totaly different aplication then I was using it for. My mechanic up hear in MDR, went a little balistic after I asked him to go through the boat and inspect options that I had ordered. Wrote a letter to Honda about the dealers actions, etc. Finally let it go. Mark/Time out

·
Registered
916 Posts

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with Alison Marine. I had a simular storie to tell. I purchased a new 26ft Striper in 2000, and in 30 months of ownership, the boat was down 4 months. In that time, the Volvo 280hp vortec recieved; 9 starters, a new full injection computor, and pump combination, and two intire valve jobs. The under lineing exspence of this situation is in the depreciation, the payments, the insurance, and the lack of use. I found "Alison Marine", to be a totaly unprofessional, incompetent, and disreputable company. I sold the boat, at a great loss after 30 months, because it was unreliable, and that makes it unsafe at sea. I have owned 40 boats during my 58yrs, and have come to two most important conclusions: do the best investigation you can, about the boat and the motor, because your life may be at risk some day at sea, and you should only buy an engine, that can be maintained by a certified machanic, that you trust and know well. The safety and reliability of a boat, are the two most important things about it, especially when you as skipper, have the responsibilty of others on board. I would take your boat somewhere else, and have it repaired to your satisfaction, and sue "Alson Marine".

Rick/Tugfire

26ft Glacier Bay Cat

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

My plans to deal with Allison Marine has just gone down the toilet.
You paid good money for a service and it was not done. That is unbelievable. You should be beyond PISSED. Thanks for making us aware of the sort of service they provide. BIG TENTACLES OUT !!!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts

If its a new Volvo and you did the first service yourself (I know it was out of your control) you just voided your warranty. Service book says needs to be done under 50 hours. Might want to check on that. You must take your first service into a authorized dealer. Sorry they did you wrong.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Have you spoken to Bill Allison. Bill doesn't run a shop to screw someone out of a filter. Someone in the shop could have screwed up, but talk to Bill.

I just had my new D6 serviced there, and some warranty pump work, and I was in and out in 2 days, and they set up the radar that the mfg hadn't set up properly.

If Bill doesn't address the problem do what you have to, but I would be willing to bet it will be addressed.

·
Registered
218 Posts

That sucks to have all those problems but it sounds like the major problem is not so much Allison Marine as it is the junk they sell. I had them sell a boat for me on consignment years ago and I was very satisfied.

I would think your anger should be aimed toward the MFG of your boat for it's problems more than the dealer who sold it to you. But if they did pull a fake oil change and charge for it, that's another story.

I have never owned a Striper. I have also never owned a Hyundai, Daewoo, or a Bayliner. I tend to stay away from those things.

I wanted a boat that was dependable and problem free so I bought a Parker. 2 years and 300 hrs later, not a single problem. Kind of a no brainer.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts

"I have never owned a Striper. I have also never owned a Hyundai, Daewoo, or a Bayliner. I tend to stay away from those things."

Kind of a low blow there. I know plenty of people that have Stripers and are happy. I have a Davis so does that make me better than the others. NO.

·
Registered
654 Posts

Over the years I have heard way too many complaints about Allison Marine. Some major and some minor......but I would never deal with them myself EVER from the stories I have heard!

I know they are cheap......so buyer beware. Sometimes it is much cheaper to pay a little more in the long run...... and deal with someone respectable.

After all.....would you want to go into battle with a lo-bid rifle??

Bent Rods!!

·
Registered
576 Posts

was on the phone the fisrt day with striper (michelle) in the warrenty dept, she is great !!!!! volvo is aware and were not happy.I love the boat and it runs great a ( fish killer ) It's the fact that they put my boat at risk,what if I never saw the crap they did I would be running a new motor on old oil!!!

·
Registered
576 Posts

worked with bob most of the time but bill said no deal to money back for my time.They installed my bait tank for free about 200 bucks but I have spent more than that to date.

·
Registered
576 Posts

I will post pics when my daughter gets off work, everything was scrached to look like work was done. Great boat crappy dealer

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

Blackmail;

Tell them you want $500 - $1000 worth the service or
you will spend hours and months to make sure they
lose 10 times the $ Cash and you will go WAR over this.
Going public, pass out flyers at Fred Hall show ect.

When I used to build engines VW/ Porsche, on Hi performance/expensive
motors I would change the oil after the initial "Fire-Up".
Yea thats right. Change the oil after 5 minutes of running.
1st oil change is the most important.

http://www.allisonmarine.com/2007/about/contact.html

D.R.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts