All Coast banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you take care of the fish you catch to keep them fresh until you fillet them?

I've seen some pictures lately where fish haven't been taken care
of as well as they could have been IMO, uhh yeah it pisses me off.

Comments are always welcomed.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
223 Posts
RE: How do you take care of the fish you catch to keep them fresh until you fillet them?

Bleeding, gutting, and icing has been the practice all my fishing life ... Grandpa always made sure we got home with the freshest & best eating meat on the block. Sometimes we'd even get 100 #'s of dry ice for Mexico trips, and freeze em too. Now I have an icemaker, and room for a big chest on the swim step. Try it different ways, but I believe you'll taste the difference ...
Ferg
Holo-Nui
Monterey 302, Huntington Harbor

·
Registered
147 Posts
RE: How do you take care of the fish you catch to keep them fresh until you fillet them?

1) pull or cut a gill raker. 2)spike all tuna in the brain (soft spot on the head between the eyes. 3)cover in ice/sea water/rock salt slurry. 4) Add ice as needed

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Sure glad I'm not scrubbing that deck!
Nice Tunas!

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
493 Posts

John,

Are you sure it's not the quality of the pictures? I know my pictures look like crap especially when it's shot at night with a flash.

·
Banned
720 Posts

I have found that a couple-three 6'ers of cold Imperials do the job just fine. ;-)

The Stewmaster

·
Registered
335 Posts

Dave - Nice bloody deck brah. I seem to recall bloody decks on the Laukia a few weeks back.;)

Missed you in SD over the 4th. We need to buddy boat soon either SD or up North.

Romme

Rrhookup
Farallon 25 Whaleback "Midori"

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This had nothing to do with anything you posted Romeo.
It was just a culmination of maybe 10 pictures I've seen over the last few months.
Hopefully, if it makes a few more people think about taking care of
their fish just a little better then it truly will serve it's purpose.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Whatcha got in there, is that Bluefin?

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
493 Posts

John,

No offense taken what's so ever. Just noting a possible problem. Kinda like the Snook that was caught at Anacapa (LOL). Actually you did get me to thinking.

Photo Ho when are you going to give Photography lessons.

·
Registered
147 Posts

"Whatcha got in there, is that Bluefin?"

Roger that. Romme was with me on that trip a few weeks ago (he took the photo). We got the one Bluefin and a bunch of yellows and a bonita that went almost 13 lbs. They were so cold when we took them out to fillet it hurt your hand!

·
Banned
720 Posts

It's a YFT roughly 70lbs. I think the boat guys need to invest in a real fillet knife and stop using that rusty machete. :)

The Stewmaster

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

Since I have limited deck space on my boat, I don't carry an ice chest..... so I ussually thow my catch in the bait tank.

I try to keep them alive until I'm ready to go home, then I'll blead'em by yanking the gill plates off. I buy 3-4 seven pound bags of ice on my way in at the bait reciever and chill them down for the ride home.

Peter
"Trusty Rusty"
18' Bayrunner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts