Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have seen a few sail boats in Huntington Harbor and were wondering how they get under the bridge? We were thinking about getting a sail boat but were unsure if we can go in open water considering the bridge.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Collapsible or folding mast on sailboats are very expensive and can a PIA to raise and lower while in the water. I live a stone's throw from H.H. it's not an ideal place to moor a sailboat at in my opinion. The large high profile fly bridge sport yachts time their departures and returns at low tides and depending on the low tide drop. You are much better off mooring at Long Beach Marina or Shoreline Village.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Back in HS, my buddy's dad had a trawler in front of his house in HH.
We had to lower the mast to get under the bridge.
You can see in the pic where the foremast is double behind the crows nest. It hinged at the base of the crows nest.

If the tide was too low, it would run aground before we could get it up against the dock.
More than once we left it with the stern hanging out until the tide came up.
Water Boat Sky Cloud Watercraft

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Back in HS, my buddy's dad had a trawler in front of his house in HH.
We had to lower the mast to get under the bridge.
You can see in the pic where the foremast is double behind the crows nest. It hinged at the base of the crows nest.

If the tide was too low, it would run aground before we could get it up against the dock.
More than once we left it with the stern hanging out until the tide came up.
View attachment 50531
Yup...I forgot to mention about that at HH. If you left the dock in a bigger vessel at low tide to clear under the bridge, you had to worry about running it aground under the bridge or right at the bridge. LOL! Although they did dredge it by the bridge and the channel about 5 years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts