All Coast banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm at the helm, I'm fine, but as soon as I take my eyes off of the horizon, or I'm in the cabin or head, I begin to get motion sick. When I get behind the helm again, it goes away. What is the best remedy. I'm going to try some Dramamine on my next outing. Anything else I may want to try?

Thanks

JR

·
Registered
404 Posts
Stay behind the helm and get some crew. When some hooks a fish reel it up and go back to your station.
Seriously, time on the water, regularly will help. Some people get sick no matter what. Good luck, Bob

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
give up fishing and give all your gear and your boat to me?!?!?!?!?!

all kidding aside, dramamine or bonine should help. if neither of those works they make a patch that you put behind your ear. i think you might have to get a prescription for it, but my friend swears by it. but he only uses a third or a half of a whole when he uses it. otherwise it makes him too tired.

if none of those works, consider my first option. ;)

i hope you find a remedy so you can continue to enjoy the sport. good luck and let us know how it goes.

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Banned
2,434 Posts
go to the health food store and get some ground ginger in capsules...take two when you wake up and another two just before stepping on the boat...stay away from anything carbonated or coffee...i find that orange gatorade tastes the best on the second time around.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I once read about Nabisco Ginger Snaps and since they I have always kept a box onboard for people who have problems.

The combination of ginger (Nabisco uses real ginger, other brands do not) and eating the cookie itself seems to settle people who need it down quite rapidly.

Guess I could begin typing a "power cat" commercial selling everyone on the virtues of having a cat instead of a monohull for our kind of waters, but I won't. However, far fewer people get sick on a cat, etc. due to its "magic carpet" ride.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
ginger snaps is an interesting suggestion. my girlfriend gets seasick sometimes so think i'll try that one. thanks for the input.

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Registered
75 Posts
Go to your doctor and get a perscription for Scopace. It is the pill form of the scopolomine patch. It works excellent. Well worth the effort to get it. Also, it is so new that the pharmacy doesn't know what it is and will probably have to order it from their supplier.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Scopace should be ultimate drug, Costco has it, but you will need prescription.

Schweppes Ginger Ale works for me. 10oz bottles are the best. Usually, one is enough.

Scenario for Dramamine is always the same for everybody - tested hundreds of times ... take a nap for about an hour after 30-45 min after taking it. When woke up seasickness will be gone, but you still will be sleepy for a several hours.
WARNING! NO GO WITH ALCOHOL.
Actually, Dramamine works for 24 hours, so take it WELL IN ADVANCE.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I kept a spray bottle of Vita Motion-S on my boat, so far it have saved 5 or 6 passengers.

http://www.marvgolden.com/health-safety/vitamist.htm

I mail ordered this thing from internet (search for best price).

Unlike others, this don't need prescription, and works even after feeling sick.

Not cheap, but I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Take a cup of mayo and microwave it for a couple of minutes then drink. Sure fire way to get it over with right away.

Andy
Parker 2520
"Fat Daddy"

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I am prone to seasickness too and have tried everything, with limited success.
Dramamine and Bonine have never seemed to work. Scopalamine works pretty good, but they don't always work for me (one time I barfed 60' underwater while scuba diving). I tried Ginger on several trip to Australia's Great Barrier Reef and it worked great each time. Doesn't seem to work for me in the Northern Hemisphere though (maybe its a Coriolis thing).

I also haven't been able to figure out what sets me off. It doesn't seem diet related. It also doesn't seem condition related. If anything, heavy seas seem to distract me enough to prevent sickness. But, little things can set me off, like going into the engine room. Cigarette smoke definately gets me.

The only thing that really seems to work is frequent time on the water. If I go out overnight at least once every three weeks, I don't even begin to get bothered (unless I breath in cigarette smoke).

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
I used to get seasick all the time. Marezine (OTC) saved me. I Barfed on Bonine, barfed on Dramamine, but Marezine did the trick for me as did the scopolamine patches. Though I have not tried them, those Scopace pills should be the ticket too.

LOTS of time on the water helps too.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
>Take a cup of mayo and microwave it for a couple of minutes
>then drink. Sure fire way to get it over with right away.

i'm getting sick just thinking about that idea. x(

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Yeah, thats nasty. I got sick just at that thought of giving that to someone.

My experience has been that the pills work differently on different people. All of them should be taken long (something like 24 hours depending on the instructions) before departure and then again an hour before departure. Once on the water I say leave the pills at home. Usually you'll just end up throwing them up anyhow (this is unless of course you are out longer than 18 hours or so)

Then I go with ginger everytime. Either cookies, ginger ale, or candied ginger. I think the cookies or fresh ginger work best, but I like a good strong ginger ale (wholefoods carries one, Reeds I think, but I can't remember for sure)

My secret on all this is to keep eating. Whatever you can handle, crackers, cookies, sandwiches, burritos...whatever really. It works for me everytime. When the whole boat is letting them go, I grab a sandwich.

Gotta agree with others, stay away from coffee and alcohol. I had never heard to stay away from carbonation, but I'll take his word for it. I'm sure hes on the water enough to know what works.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Have you tried this Andy?
I'm with the other 2, getting sick just thinking about this.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I spent 6 years in the Navy and plenty of time on the ocean. For me, I never totally got over it. We had some days in the South Pacific going around storms with 50 knots of wind all day and constant 20-30 degree list from the sail area of the ship. blue water on deck all day etc etc...

For me, the obvious fresh air and horizon watching did the trick when they were available, but when they werenâ??t, I used Meclazine (same as in Dramine II) Like most, it makes you tired, but taking it well in advance, making sure you donâ??t have an empty stomach etc, I did pretty well. Some days though, it just caught up with me and you had to pay your dues.

When fishing nowadays, I take it about 2 hours before boarding, I don't do the tailgate party waiting for the boat. A few hours into it, I'm ready to do whatever.

At the helm however, take the fatigue factor into obvious consideration.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
If Bonine works for you, it's available generically as Meclizine HCL in 25MG tabs at a ridiculously low price--something like $10 for a hundred tabs. The stuff works for lots of folks, but it makes me SUPER tired.

Itâ??s Marezine (Cyclizine) for me. $90 for 100 pills, but I'd pay three times that much if I had to. The Marezine works great for my kids (12 and 16) too. I've had them out in some pretty tight swells, and they were fine--to the point of napping on the floor. ...and they are prone to carsickness!

Like others have said: Whatever you take, have it in your system well before going out, and stay medicated at the max rate.

Good luck

Kurt

PS It should go without saying, but check the weather before you go out. Swell intervals just as important as height, IMO. If the intervals are below 8 or 9 seconds and over 3', it's got my attention--not so much for me, but for my choice of passengers.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Best stuff for sea sickness ever made...
Well at least for me: http://www.scopace.com

1 pill and I am good to go all day long. :)

Joey

Tail Chaser
Channel Islands, Ca

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts