Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I'm going sailing out of Newport Saturday, and I can't be on the water without at least trying...We'll be within a couple miles of the coast at all times..Any suggestions on rigs/lures?
Thanks!"

Addendum: I tried all of the suggested items, and about 3 miles off Laguna my rod did a major bendo...my line went "ZZZZZZZZTTTT!!!!!!....." ...and I reeled in the most AMAZING piece of kelp!! Tip: I caught it on a mackerel croc.)
...BUT..
I have NEVER seen so many whales in my life, we stopped counting after 20..A couple of finbacks and the rest Blue's, one surfaced next to the boat & paralleled us from Main Beach in Laguna all the way back to Big Corona at about 4 knots, we could smell it's stinky spray and it was twice the length of our boat. What an amazing day on the water!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
RE: What to troll from a 46' sailboat?

I'd try a CD-14 or CD-18 Rapala in Blue Mackerel. Everything eats 'em! Use at least 30 lb. test 'cuz you could very well hook a shark. Release sharks if you can. Eat yellowtail!

Good Luck,
Kev

·
Registered
8,345 Posts

My suggestion would be to simply troll a few bonita feathers. You'll have a shot at Barracuda, Bonita and the occasional Yellowtail.

Sharks and Sailboats don't mix.

Good luck and Cheers,

Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

·
Registered
8,345 Posts

Funny, but kidding aside, sail boats are great. I grew up on them and have many fond memories.

It's just another way to enjoy the water.

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Actually, we have a power boat, but it's nice to let someone else play captain once in a while & a cruising class sailboat sure beats a 22 foot powerboat when the winds kick the channel up :) Thanks for the input, everyone! I'll let you know what happens...

·
Registered
102 Posts

I spent time with my Dad on his sail boat over the years, and managed to upset him catching fish while trolling, and getting blood on the boat. Didn't really care for sailing, just didn't have my own boat till about 10 years ago. What makes a sailboat great for trolling is the stealth no motor noise and usually ideal trolling speed. If you are going slow enough to pull a Yo Zuri or Rapala, ask your local tackle shop about colors and sizes. I sugest at least 30# line, 40 is better.Make sure you use a swivel about 3 ft. up from the lure to avoid line twist. Use trolling straps to attach your trolling outfit to your railing or some thing secure. Make sure the reel can be attached to a harness like a penn 4/0 senator to accomidate the clips on the trolling straps. Get a gaff,or large net, and to eliminate blood on the deck get a large diving game bag hang it over the side by means of a rope attached to the handle. Then when you catch something you can transfer it to the game bag without putting it on the deck. You still might get blood on the hull. Good luck, Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts