Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased In The Gray and have not been able to find the defined datum for the GPS numbers presented in the book. I have plotted the numbers using NAD83/WGS84 and the resulting waypoints seem of the mark. When plotted using the numbers under NAD27 they seem more accurate. Anyone know the exact system used for the subject numbers or were to find the answer in the book?

On a lighter note, the complete set of waypoints look like a halo of fishing spots completely around the island when plotted. On a map, the small scale makes it look like there are fish everywhere. If it were only true!

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Hi nexusenv,

Would almost bet the master himself will answer. Then we'll no longer be 'in the dark' on the query. Interested myself as to what might be the culprit.

tsurikichi

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
WSB fishing is NOT about numbers...It's about conditions...
I guess you forgot to READ the book and jumped directly to GPS #'s

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi Chris

The numbers in the book came straight from a Furuno GPS as I double checked them against years of shore bearings and loran numbers. You'll find the repeatability to be excellant but I don't know how well they will correspond to points on an existing chart.

As Mike said "it's not about spots, it's about conditions"... which have been tough as of late. Hopefully things straighten out soon and we'll all catch few.

Good Luck

MarkW

·
Registered
619 Posts
There's been some on the front between Avalon and Long Point.Hopefully some new bait moved in around back now that the weather is coming down.

Good luck!

·
Registered
227 Posts
One of the most helpful things I found covered in your book was the discussion about the weather before a fishing trip. If I remember you felt that if the wind/swell/temperature could stablize before the trip (the longer the better) the fish would be more likely to bite. What I saw on the weather site on the backside Wed. was 20 knots, 10-12 feet and 10-12 seconds. I sure hope the water clears by Saturday!

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike:

If you read the entire book ( in addition to Mark W's other works) - you will see that the book is a COMPLETE introductory guide to fishing the island. This is why the book is 496 pages long. Mr. Wisch has been more than helpfull in providing the island new-comer information on species, tackle, structure, anchoring techniques, bait management, conditions, and many useful side notes. While "conditions" are critical, part of the equation is surrounding environment and structure. And as you well know, there is nothing better than when all the variables come together, when one can find the right conditions around the right structure with the right bait and so on. So in order to use the book to its fullest potential, I am simply asking what Datum the numbers were taken from. Its not a difficult or slanted question. And it neither implies "skipping to the numbers" or lack of comprehension. If anything, I would simply like to use the vast amount of experience Mr. Wisch has gained to significantly reduce my fishing learning curve at the island. Chill!

Chris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>Hi Chris
>
>The numbers in the book came straight from a Furuno GPS as I
>double checked them against years of shore bearings and loran
>numbers. You'll find the repeatability to be excellant but I
>don't know how well they will correspond to points on an
>existing chart.
>
>As Mike said "it's not about spots, it's about conditions"...
>which have been tough as of late. Hopefully things straighten
>out soon and we'll all catch few.
>
>Good Luck
>
>MarkW

Hi Mark:

I have really enjoyed reading your books and they have provided a seasoned freshwater bass fisherman with a whole new avenue of enjoyment out on the big pond. With regards to the GPS numbers, I guess in order to use them effectively one would need to know what system you have you Furuno GPS setup to read. I recently read an article by the USGS that the unconverted difference between NAD27 and NAD84 datums can result in upto 200 metters of differnce in the north-south direction if not converted before entry. As I posted earlier, in mapping the points on USGS maps (developed by USGS in NAD27) via USGS software, the points seem more accurate under the NAD27 datum system. Just wanted to check with you and see if you new what datum you were using before entering all of them into the Raymarine system under the default NAD84 datum.

Again, thanks for giving all of us a little head start on the learning curve and we'll see you on the pond.

Chris

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just looked through the manual and did not find anything specific to your question. Maybe the Furuno site can offer some help on a 1650 unit.

Good luck

Mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark:

I was able to find the answer; unless you have reset the datum in the Furuno 1650 it is defaulted to WGS84. This of course is the more up to date datum system. That is why the 7.5 minute USGS maps shift the waypoints, these maps are on the NAD27 datums (even with data conversion). I dropped down in detail to the 15 minute maps were no conversion is necessary and the waypoints match up perfectly.

Thanks again

Chris

PS - It truely is mind blowing how many spots you have been successful at on the island. Think how many you must have fished to get to this point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts