Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do private boaters run as their basic fishing rigs for inshore local? Do you target one area/depth/species or keep a few poles in the water for different potential catches?

For instance, still learning, I'm busy targeting multiple species at the same time. Calicos, Halibut and chucking plastics or surface jigs at any decent kelp patties I find along the way from location to location. My goal is a decent Halibut and Yellow tail this year - caught locally from my own boat. I like Calicos and release Sandies as they don't taste that great to me.

I went out Sun morn from Dana Point around 6:30Am, had to be back to pamper the Moms by 11am. Picked up a mini scoop from the bait barge and fished Salt creek with a flylined sardine and the second pole with a dean at the bottom. No bites so I figured San Mateo Pt. Stopped at the active surface bait schools at the Dana Flats area. No bites on the surface dine or one dropped down half way to the bottom.

San Mateo Pt. :
Did a few drifts by some larger structure. Landed some Macs and one undersize WSB. Same tacktic, one on the surface/upper water column and one on the bottom. Also cut up one of the Macks and used it for chum. This is probably what brought the WSB into the area as it hit my bait within viewing depth. Fish was 19-20", released to live another day.

San Mateo - San Clemente pier:
Fished 20' looking for Halibut. One pole working the surface (flylined dean) for whatever else may be in the area and a sardine on the bottom for halibut. I also throw 5" plastics at any active surface bait schools I can see while the other two poles are in freespool with the clickers engaged. As far as those bait schools, I expected that when they are on the surface splashing a little it's because something is working them from below. But, I've casted, dragged and otherwise did all I could to drop an alluring meal where they were but never got hit by anything. I'm starting to think that if the birds aren't there, the bait fish as simply jumping around enjoying the day.

Seals:
Seems like there are a lot of dead ones in the water south of DP harbor. Yesterday, I saw two females, last time out; one large bull floating. Natural causes? Lead poisoning or should we be concerned about eating the local fish?

Water was 60.5

So do most people try more than one tactic or do you just double up on what you know has worked well in the past?

·
Registered
396 Posts
On my boat, we usually fish the entire water column to some degree regardless of whether we are inshore or offshore. Chumming has always helped if we're in the right spot (I don't think it could hurt). Anyways, when inshore, I'll usually leave a rod in the holder that's using a hali rig or dropper loop. This rod almost always has a circle hook.

When offshore, we'll mix it up...one of us will rip across the surface with some iron, another will flyline a dean, another will use an egg sinker to get down, and we'll have a dropper loop w/circle hook on a rod with clicker on.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Burndog: PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS THE WORNG WAY :) :) Telephone people use poles they climb up them, string wires on them.Fisherman use rods to catch fish.
GOOD LUCK GOOD
FISHING. DAN :) :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>Burndog: PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS THE WORNG WAY :) :)
>Telephone people use poles they climb up them, string wires on
>them.Fisherman use rods to catch fish.
>GOOD LUCK GOOD
>FISHING. DAN :) :)

Note to self: Rods, not Poles. Don't forget to tell Son. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts