Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a thread over on another board about a guy who has paid for his trip and now it has been canceled. It's a month in advance so hurray for the Boat for doing it a month in advance RIGHT? I don't think so. You know we have to send a deposit of 50% in to confirm our space. Most boats have a very "stingy" cancellation policy. Something like this, "Deposits are non-refundable unless cancellation is made 120 days prior to departure with a duration of 5 days or less, 180 days with duration of 6 days or more." AND THIS TOO, A 50% deposit is required to confirm your trip with balance due 45 days prior to departure date. If one does cancel and the spot fills they "nick" you 10%. If your spot does not fill, they keep your deposit. FAIR? Not IMHO. Look at the example above, guy comes from a long way away, gets his vacation, airline tickets and then gets cancelled upon. Here is your money back no problem but you get to eat the air, renegotiate your vacation, renegotiate with your wife for the time again, etc, etc, etc. No penalty for the boat at all, except for sitting at the dock RIGHT...not so fast if the operation cancels your trip and then adds a couple day and a half trips in your scheduled trip time THAT'S JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!In other words you cannot cancel without substantial penalty but they can and substitute another more profitable trip in your time slot. That SUCKS! It Ain't Right...and we are seeing more cancellations in prime time now. Maybe if enough of us tell the owners by staying away OR THE PEOPLE IN THE OFFICES that monitor these boards that their cancellation practices suck, then maybe they will change.

This post edited by hokeysmoke 06/21/2008

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have not had to cancel a trip myself yet, but I have waited at the dock when a trip did not go. Unfortunate but understandable, things happen. The sportfishing business is not the kind of business that can handle give aways to customers if break downs occur. The long range business has it's loyal customer attitude to frequent riders though. If a boat cancels a trip a good chance that loyal customer may jump ship.

There are a lot of good boats to choose from. If you feel that you have been wronged in any way or disagree with the office policy, that's the time to choose another boat. Once you find a boat you call home, I'm betting that they will bend some rules to keep you loyal to the boat.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
hokeysmoke said:
THAT'S JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If that's the way you really feel, can we assume that you won't be booking any more trips?

Trust me, you'll only be "hurting" yourself, because nobody else will be hurt about it.

It IS your choice, after all.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i had a boat cancell a trip on me a week before it left, they rebooked me on another trip, paid the difference in airfare and i had a great trip. just talk to them nicely and they will work with you. no need to get all ugly with them and start all kinds of crap on the boards over it. i've booked trips all over the world and the the san diego is some of the best in terms of service before and during the trip. just give them a chance to make it right.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
wahoodad said:
Maybe I'm wierd, (ok, confirmed), but I do see where he's coming from.

LMAO by definition ALL LONG RANGE FISHERMEN are weird.....8)

The care and feeding of the ever shrinking pool of clients should be a very important part of ANY service intensive business ....

Those in the financial industry will tell you if they are honest many small businesses are going to go under in the next 4 to 5 years....the businesses that cultivate good will and give great service and go the little extra will have a much better shot at making it. In the past 3 months here in Tucson 3 major resturants closed their doors.....

Long Range fishing or for that matter saltwater big game fishing in general is not for the weak of wallet. The high end boats will always have a following no matter what the price...the only thing that will kill them is if Mexico shuts down the fishing IMO it's the middle of the road operations that will be at risk.

No one knows how much or what the tipping point is for a trip to be canceled is besides the owners. It is going to be interesting times for the LR fleet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got bumped off two consecutive trips on the Shogun last year. Lots of people cancelled because of the San Diego fires. Huge hassle for me...had days off lined up, hotels, etc. But the Shogun took care of me. They hooked me up on a better trip for the same price and gave me an attractive credit for 2008 for all my "trouble". They deserve my business in the future... and they will get it. I also go on the Polaris Supreme every year. Surprised to hear they did business in a way the customer felt was unfair.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
hokeysmoke said:
There is a thread over on another board about a guy who has paid for his trip and now it has been canceled. It's a month in advance so hurray for the Boat for doing it a month in advance RIGHT?

I don't think so.

You know we have to send a deposit of 50% in to confirm our space. Most boats have a very "stingy" cancellation policy. Something like this, "Deposits are non-refundable unless cancellation is made 120 days prior to departure with a duration of 5 days or less, 180 days with duration of 6 days or more." AND THIS TOO, A 50% deposit is required to confirm your trip with balance due 45 days prior to departure date. If one does cancel and the spot fills they "nick" you 10%. If your spot does not fill, they keep your deposit. FAIR? Not IMHO. Look at the example above, guy comes from a long way away, gets his vacation, airline tickets and then gets cancelled upon. Here is your money back no problem but you get to eat the air, renegotiate your vacation, renegotiate with your wife for the time again, etc, etc, etc. No penalty for the boat at all, except for sitting at the dock RIGHT...not so fast if the operation cancels your trip and then adds a couple day and a half trips in your scheduled trip time THAT'S JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!In other words you cannot cancel without substantial penalty but they can and substitute another more profitable trip in your time slot. That SUCKS!
My first response was going to be to tell you that crap from ?other boards? should stay on other boards and that you don?t seem to have a real clue as to what you are talking about. But I refrained from that impulse and instead went to the ?other board? to see exactly what all the fuss was about.

The guy Brian who lost out on the trip said the following:

Yeah, I'd be upset in that situation too. Susan over at the Supreme said that there were four long range boats sitting idle last week. I'm very happy with how they handled it!
Hell, I had to book this a few months in advance so my wife didn't book my time for me. Now this time is free maybe I can juggle some other things around. September starts Football for my son so that's out other than dove and quail hunting. The only trip that might work is the Taka's Tackle RP trip, but i'm sure that's full at this point.

susan did offer to discount another trip for me so I'm trying to see when I could work one in. Right now a 2 day is sounding good jsut to get out since that's the only thing I can really find during that time unless anyone knows of any other openings.
And then there was this, also from Brian, in another thread on the ?other board? that concerned the same subject:

David I totally agree with you, maybe even drop the prices to at least get to a breakeven to get the boat to run. I did notice today that they added two 1.5 trips in lieu of the 5 day, so maybe that is their solution to it? I do have to say that the CS from Susan was top notch and at least i received a months notice verses 1 week!
So it looks like you are a lot more PO?d about this than Brian was! It also sounds like he was completely satisfied with the service he received from the boat?s office. Considering that, I asked my self if perhaps you just didn?t understand the current situation and causes of cancellations. But since you must have read Brian's post(s) on the ?other board?, and the rest of the thread as well, that just couldn?t be the case. Could it? :?

Along those lines, there were these two posts from a couple of people who seem to have no trouble understanding why these things are happening.

I'm afraid it's a sign of the times, many of the mid to long range fleet is in for tough times with the fuel prices.
Sorry to hear that. Rough times for the fleet right now. High fuel prices and people are starting to hold on tight to the purse strings. Trips that where full last year are having a hard time getting enough people to make the trips feasible. Hope you can find another trip that works for you.
Even Brian said this:

Susan over at the Supreme said that there were four long range boats sitting idle last week.
Now after all of this, I have a question. If the guy who lost out on the trip doesn?t have a problem with it, then WTF is your problem? Oh wait! I remember now. You?re indignant because:

hokeysmoke said:
It Ain't Right...and we are seeing more cancellations in prime time now. Maybe if enough of us tell the owners by staying away OR THE PEOPLE IN THE OFFICES that monitor these boards that their cancellation practices suck, then maybe they will change.
And also because:

hokeysmoke said:
because I wanted to create more exposure to this one sided practice!:z
The only thing you?ve managed to ?expose? here is your complete ignorance of the realities involved in running a LR boat as a business.

The reason that the boats have the reservation rules that they do are that they only want people signed up who are serious about going on that trip in that time frame! This helps keep the pikers away. What used to go on regularly was that a guy would sign up on 3 or 4 different boats at a time spread of a two or three weeks so that he could pick the trip that was leaving when the bite got hot. All he had to do was cancel the other reservations, and on short notice that meant that a space on another boat(s) would be left open because of the short notice, thus taking money out of other boat?s pockets if they couldn?t fill it. This is why all the boats have relatively the same policy regarding reservations and cancellations!

But the shoe is on the other foot now. With the price of fuel well above where it was figured to be, which affects the price of everything, you want the boats to ?suck it up? and run short, which will often mean running the trip in the red, just for your convenience. How nice!

For many years there was hardly ever a trip cancellation. I have been on many trips that ran short. But the boats simply can?t afford to do so with the additional fuel costs. In case you haven?t noticed, there have been an increasing number of cancellations for the last two years or more. This corresponds directly to when the price of fuel, particularly diesel, started going through the roof!

So just how long is a boat supposed to run trips that loose money for the sake of customer loyalty? And how long can they do that before they fold?

And oh yeah! There was something else mentioned on the ?other board? that would take care of the entire problem you?re beeitching about.

You can actually get trip cancellation insurance for a reasonable fee guys, Its rather common in the cruise industry. I for one have always wondered why the landings have not jumped on this.

MMM
It?s not the first time trip insurance has been mentioned here or on the other board!

So taking all of this into account, I have to ask. Do you still have a problem?

Next time, try leaving other people?s problems, on other boards, that don?t involve you at all, exactly where you found them. OK? ;)

The boats do what they can and they don't do what they can't afford to do.

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Having done quite a bit of fishing with Tommy, Drew, and having a ton of help from Susan in the office, I can tell you if they cancelled a trip that it was probably done in good faith. I believe these are all good people.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Sh!t happens.

I bought a trip off this board for a 5 dayer. Was acutally suppose to leave the previous Monday. Then I got a call about a month before the trip saying my trip was cancelled and that to call back and rebook on another trip.

Nice thing is they gave me 200 bucks credit and I used it to go on a more expensive trip next week. :D

Good thing is I live local and it's not that bad. But I'm sure if I lived out of state and had to fly etc. I may have issues.

Most boats try their best and I'm sure they'd rather be on the water making money then sitting at the docks. But you know most boats treat their customers right and give discounts etc.

Harddrive

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.