Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the small 8" Jack Mackerel good for bait? I never see them in the commercial mix of Anchovies or Sardines. I find them many times under paddies and while getting green Mackerels. I am wondering if they would work as well as the green mackerels for Yellow's or Dodo's?
By the way they look just like baby yellow tails. And I don't think they are the spanish mackerels, maybe I am wrong on that.

John

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yes, they are excellent, from 4 inches to about 15 inches. I don't know if greenbacks are better, but I have had good luck with both. You will notice something in the tank though-jack mackerel are a LOT quicker and harder to catch. If you toss them in with sardines, you will have to use all your sardines before you can get the macks! It's pretty funny. With macks only it's easier, a good sized net will help. They croak when you grab them too. There are times when I cannot find greenbacks anywhere to save my life at the island, but have found a few spots that seem to always give up a few jack mackerel which have saved the day on occasion. You'll find them under paddies, but also deep on hard bottom areas near the bottom, they often seem to shun the surface during the day.

Steve
25' Farallon "187"

·
Registered
228 Posts
If they look just like a yellowtail, that's what they are. A spanish jack is a large spanish mackeral.

I've caught lots of micro yellows under paddys over the years. Always wanted to put one in the aquarium but turned them all back.

In the late 60's I went on a trip on the Fisherman II out of Pacific Landing down to Barn Kelp for yellowtail. We got about 10 of them with our bait. They included them in the fish count. Cracked me up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply Steve and LS.
Steve you're right on with finding them under paddies and I have found them on the bottom in about 70' under the Greenbacks.

Ls, I used to also think they were young Yellotails, so I took a picture of one and showed it to a Fish & Game person who identified it as Jack Mackerel. Still not convinced I looked up Jack Mackerel and found the pictures to be confirming.

Now I have not seen a picture of young Yellotails, It would be interesting to see.

John

2601 Striper

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Heck with using Aji-Spanish Macs for bait. They are better off eating. No, im not getting confussed with the green backs which are bigger and for bait, spanish macs are pretty good in the broiler....

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts