Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the diameter of JB hollow? I think I saw somewhere that 80# is .014 which seems smaller than average? I am trying to calculate how much 50# mono I can put on top of 300 yards of 60# hollow on my Baja Special.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Jon, for what it's worth, I just spooled up a Tyrnos12II with 60 lb hollow and got all of it on the reel. I then took some off for a few wind-ons and it has about 275-280 yards on it. The capacity of this one is 300 of 20#. Your reel has capacity for 375 of 30# so you should be able to put at least 50 yards of 50 lb mono on top of that 60 lb hollow. Plenty for yoyo iron fishing and even if you get into the spectra it's that smooth and easy on the hands hollow, so no worries.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve, using the line calculator on the Accurate site, I think I can get a bit more. If my math is correct, I can put the whole 300 yards plus another 146 yards of 50# which is much more than I anticipated. This Accurate calculator is actually cool. If my Algebra wasn't so rusty, I am sure I could do this the old way, but why? That would give me 446 total yards.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, it is under their support section. I figured out that the 300# of JB 60# is the same as 139 yards of 30# mono. I then deducted this 139 yards from the 375 yards of 30# mono that Penn says it will hold. This left me with 236 yards of 30# mono which is takes up the same space as 146 yrds of 50# mono. I will find out in 30 days if this is right, but it makes sense if the sizes shown for the mono is right.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
Outhouse said:
Yea, it is under their support section. I figured out that the 300# of JB 60# is the same as 139 yards of 30# mono. I then deducted this 139 yards from the 375 yards of 30# mono that Penn says it will hold. This left me with 236 yards of 30# mono which is takes up the same space as 146 yrds of 50# mono. I will find out in 30 days if this is right, but it makes sense if the sizes shown for the mono is right.

Mono diameters vary from brand to brand.....the only lines that are consistant in diameter are the tournament lines.....so your 146 yards will probably be plus or minus 20%..no biggy.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Outhouse said:
Does anyone know the diameter of JB hollow? I think I saw somewhere that 80# is .014 which seems smaller than average? I am trying to calculate how much 50# mono I can put on top of 300 yards of 60# hollow on my Baja Special.

Here is a really quick guide to use when you try to figure out capacity

here are the parameters

Say your reel will hold 300 yds of 30 pound line and say your 60 pound spectra is the equivelent to say 15 pound line then the equation would be as follows

30 x 300 = 9,000 / 15 = 600 yds of 60 pound

you put 300 yds of 60 pound on so that leaves you with 300 yds left of 60 pound

15 x 300 = 4500 / 50 = 90+ yds of 50 pound

I used 15 pound as a number for the 60 pound because that is what powerpro is showing as a guide for 65 pound being 16

Short version

multiply the spool capacity listed on your reel and divide by the mono eqivelent of the spectra.

I have found that this gets pretty close and it does vary from different lines

Izor is a bit thicker verses say P-line

Have fun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.