All Coast banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a tax bill for my boat. What the *ell is that all about?? This is my 6th boat, and never had to pay property tax.

Did anyone else receive a bill?? Is there anything I can do about this?? This boat ownership is turning out to be a real pain.

This was in Riverside County.

Any info as to how to lower this tax, or not pay will be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
"Bass Hole"
26' Striper WA

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Yup...they never found your old boats. They actually walk the marinas and harbors to ensure that your boat is on the tax rolls.

·
Registered
17,302 Posts
they used to have a minimum size of about 21' for that tax to apply. I got a bill this year for my 17' BassTracker that I sold the second week of january. "if you owned it on January FIRST; you owe the tax" :(

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Been there, done that....don't bother fighting with "The Man!" it's usless, pay it and move on! You don't want to know what my tax bill was! Good news is you can write it off!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
>Sorry, but uncle sam wants his boat tax every year!!!x(
>

Someone that greedy is no uncle of mine...lol..

Oh well!!!!
>Peter
>"Trusty Rusty"
>18' Bayrunner

John
"Bass Hole"
26' Striper WA

·
Registered
154 Posts
In the 70's I bought a Jet ski and sure enough, the tax man cometh.....they called it a "luxury tax". Go figure.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yes, you gotta pay the prop tax on the boat. I did succeed once in getting it reduced on my old Cabo 216. They way overvalued it IMO because I had no trailer, kept it in a slip, and my Yammy 175 had 1500 hours on it, just about the limit. Therefore, it would not sell for, and didn't when I sold it, for what they determined my 1988 Cabo would sell for. Sent them adds for Cabos and similar 21 and 22ft. boats and pointed out the differences, trailer, engine year, etc. Saved a few hundred which now seems like chump change to me.

Fish the Tides - Freddie

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Property tax

Lucky bastard, not having to pay property tax on your previous boats...

I have had to pay since day one on my 18" Parker.. so smaller boats have to pay as well..

I have to wonder why we are assessed property tax on boats and not on vehicles ? or other similiarly priced posessions ? Any comments ?

Jeff

·
Registered
130 Posts
RE: Property tax

>Lucky bastard, not having to pay property tax on your
>previous boats...
>
>
>I have had to pay since day one on my 18" Parker.. so smaller
>boats have to pay as well..
>
>I have to wonder why we are assessed property tax on boats and
>not on vehicles ? or other similiarly priced posessions ? Any
>comments ?
>
>Jeff

Jeff,
You actually do pay property tax on you cars or trucks, a prtion of your annual registration is base on the value, and is considered personal property tax. On California registered boats, we pay only a few bucks per year ($14 for two years). Two of my boats are CA registered, and the other one is federally documented, I pay the tax on each of them.
I guess it is just part of the price of admission.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
RE: Property tax

I'll never forget when I was living at the beach in Newport, got a parking ticket in my own driveway, as my truck was sticking a bit into the sidewalk, and got a ticket for it. I went to court to defend it, and did get it reduced, however, the judge, said "Price of living in Paradise!" Truer words have never been said. Pay the man and move on!

·
Registered
827 Posts
A boat that size is ..

considered Real Property, hense, Real Property Tax. The amount of the tax is based on the accessors valuation of the boat.

Getem', Capt'n Skip

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hi Skipper,

I find that one of the most unfair things about this tax business, is that they can charge the same amount for three years, even though your boat depreciates every year.

Sorry, you must pay it.

Rick/Tugfire

26ft Glacier Bay Cat

·
Registered
231 Posts
RE: A boat that size is ..

>considered Real Property, hense, Real Property Tax. The
>amount of the tax is based on the accessors valuation of the
>boat.
>
>Getem', Capt'n Skip

And a lot of the times they assess the value for more than you paid for it or what it is worth. Too much hassle to challenge it in most cases. Sucks doesn't it.
Jeff

Scallywag
Edgewater 22CC

·
Registered
257 Posts
it's just like tax on a house...something around 1% of appraised value per year. if you really want to pay less, you can contest it and tell them your boat is a hunk of crap and not worth market value. you'll have to be able to prove this though.......good luck!

this year, my property tax on the boat actually went UP! that was a first...i thought boats depreciated. can't complain though.....they had it undervalued the last couple of years.

be glad for the free ride you had before....and glad you don't have to ride on the cattle boats

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
"Any info as to how to lower this tax, or not pay will be appreciated."

Riverside taxes are high anyway. One of the few Counties that won't let you use the one time transfers for property tax on a home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts