Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Buy a good stone. Keep it wet and a angle very steep. You can feel the knife get sharp and it should easily cut hair on your arm when ready.

Alan
SeaDancer
Skipjack 20

·
Registered
512 Posts
It takes practice, and lots of it. You have to start sometime if you want to learn, so get a good stone and try. I think the biggest trick is learning to keep the angle consistent. You have to hold the same angle all the time to get a really sharp edge. And I agree with Alan above, keep the angle steep. Once you learn how it wonâ??t intimidate you, and you will hit the stone often to keep that edge sharp. Which will help your fish cleaning also. Practice, practice and more practice. Just my 2 cents, good luck.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
http://www.ameritech.net/users/knives

You can learn a lot just from the website. Also look at the "suppliers list" for jigs, etc.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
I use the angled stones at home. Man those put on a sharp edge. On the boat, I use a 12" steel about every third tuna to keep the edge. Man, that makes a difference. The steel can be intimidating to use as half the strokes you are swinging the knife towards you..and the boat is rocking/under way, ect, but after a while you figure it out and it really helps.

Good luck, and practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was recently given a Knife Sharpener as a gift.... when I looked at it, I was not very hopeful that it would work, but as it turns out, it is the best and most effective sharpener I have ever seen or used. It is currently on my boat, so I cannot give you any specifics about it right now, but I will tell you what I can.

It is a system. There are 2 gray stones, 3 sided, that are about the size of a pencil. They fit into the base, at a fixed angle. You draw the knife down, STRAIGHT DOWN, along the CORNER EDGE of the stone to the right, then the left, then the right, then the left, until you have done so about 20 times. You then turn the stones, in their base, so that you are using the FLAT SIDE of the stone. Repeat about 20 more times. Each time, pull the KNIFE STRAIGHT DOWN. This ensures the proper angle.

After you are done with this part... you do the entire process again, with the WHITE STONES that are provided. First on the CORNER EDGE of the stone, and then on the FLAT EDGE of the stone.

I gotta tell you, this puts the best and sharpest edge on my knives. I love it. If you interested, let me know, and I will look at it when I am on my boat this weekend, and report back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have seen those types of systems but have been hesitant to purchase. If its not too much trouble I would like the companies name.

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
For the occasional fillet duty - meaning recreational - I've used the Gerber 7inch fillet knife for two years now and love it. It has a hard full length sheath, great handle, holds an edge well, and best of all - the sheath has a built-in idiot proof hone stone. No screwing around with angles an stones an steels an whatnot - just draw the blade thru the honestone opening an it's sharp! About $12 at Cabela's or BassPro. If you're as spastic as I am, get the Kevlar glove (about $20 everywhere) for your offhand and save some blood.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hunter Honer

Bought one of these 2 years ago at Fred Hall and have used nothing else. These things are awesome.

http://www.hunterhoner.com/Hunter_Honer/Instructions.htm

My 2¢

Danny

·
Registered
654 Posts
>Does any body have any tips on sharpening or keeping filet
>knives sharp?
>
>Thank you in advance
>Nick

This is the best deal I have ever seen and it really works! The only thing I use on my boat to keep my fillet knives sharp. I have given these out to my friends and everyone likes them.......about 2 passes down each side of your blade and its sharp.

http://speedysharp.net/

Good Luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A lot of great ideas. I think I have some thing similar to the speedy sharp, Ill have to search through the garage. The hunter honer looks easy to use. I think I solved my problem. While at the local sushi bar I started talking with the shef, learned he likes fishing so I invited him along on his next day off. Im hoping he will show me how to use a stone. Thanks again for all the info and techniques.

Nick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts