Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are most (all?) boats with a single outboard equipped with a clockwise rotating prop? Is there something inherently better about clockwise over counterclockwise when running a single outboard, or is it simply convention? The reason I ask is that I am seriously thinking about repowering with a new 225 Yamaha four stroke and can get a reduced rate on a counterclockwise engine.

Thanks,

Jan

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm not sure the answer to that but its probably due to production numbers most boats are single O/B. I did what you are thinking about. I bought a counter rotating yammy 4 stroke. I saved thousands of dollars and have been very happy.Over 1200 hrs and still running strong! Cheers G

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Lobito said:
Why are most (all?) boats with a single outboard equipped with a clockwise rotating prop? Is there something inherently better about clockwise over counterclockwise when running a single outboard, or is it simply convention? The reason I ask is that I am seriously thinking about repowering with a new 225 Yamaha four stroke and can get a reduced rate on a counterclockwise engine.

Thanks,

Jan
Keeping everything the same as all the other boats in the water helps to keep from confusing YOUR MECHANIC and the PARTS DEPARTMENT. If you go that route, I would suggest putting a permanent sticker on your motor

·
Registered
745 Posts
The gear case on the counter rotation moter is different and I believe more complex. Parts availability not quite as good and fewer choices of props available. If you can live with all of this there are some deals to be had.

·
Registered
638 Posts
this is an easy answer - like cars in the USA we have "Left Driverside Steering!" In the UK and other countries it the opposite. And no difference in output performance. The only time "counter rotation" comes into question is with duel engines and please do insult me or the board asking why - Ghostboy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.