Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, thanks to all you guys who have answered my questions in the past, i appreciate the information. You guys are da bomb.

Now to my question...
I want to get a rod for casting bait to marlin and small sharks. Im pretty brand loyal to seeker
I was gonna get the CJBF65XH blank, basically the fast taper live bait/jig rod 6.5 30(60)80

1. My question is what #test do you guys use for casting to marlin and IS my blank along the correct lines, should i get the lighter 30(40)50 blank?
2. What reel would anyone recommend? I have my 4/0 senator special or i have a 12LT international with a topless frame. Would these be of use for this application?
If not, i was considering a progear albacore special or wahoo special or snagging one of my pop's newells? The hoo special holds alot of 50#, i dont know how much o would like casting a reel that hefty.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP BOYS! DONT BE SHY TO POST

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The 800M with a TN30 seems to have garnered some popularity for casting in the 30-40 line class. IMO the Int 12 would not the best reel for this application.

You might want to try posting this at Marlin Nut.

Rob

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
My main caster/drop back (Which as been restrung since these pix)

7'6" 30-50# Anglers Center Marlin Caster, with a Trini 30 spun with 65# spectra, 30# Berkley Electric Blue Top, and 200# Floro leader with the Spro Heavy swivel for keeping the bait in the baittank.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
That Angler's Center rod likely is an 800M with 6" off the butt.

Bill-with 30# main line, you might want to consider cutting back to 80# or 100# primary leader; then 85#, 90#, or at the most 100# leader for the short section between the swivel & hook. At least that's the advice I've learned from my sensei's.

Rob

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rob, where are you located? Im in channel islands, get out around here much? by the way, what is this IMO people keep sayin

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
>Rob, where are you located? Im in channel islands, get out
>around here much? by the way, what is this IMO people keep
>sayin

I'm in Yorba Linda and unfortunately, I don't get out your way as often as I once did. :(

IMO stands for In My Opinion....it's a polite way of saying "I think what I'm saying is all that really matters" :p

Rob

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Rob, In a perfect world....that makes sense. In reality with inexperienced crews, leader at the boat issues...ect ect, your chances dramatically increase with the heavier leader and the circle hook! In a tournament...it's all changed out!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Senor Morris,

I understand ALL of the issues you raise. But the emphasis lays in the fact that the lighter leader has more to do with the bait's ability to swim more freely....and naturally. More active bait=more bites=more chances to get one to leader. Your issues are the very arguments I presented when it was recommended to me to fish the lighter leaders, but IMO :) , the potential for bites outweighs the potential for breaking one off at leader-especially in a release format where the only thing that matters is getting the fish leadered-not necessarily subdued.

Rob

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Thus the tournamet scenerio I described.....and agree....However with the Spro swivel, that leader is very limber! The intent is to get bit quickly on feeders....if not then you change it out!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've had great luck in marlin tournaments with a Calstar 270 7'10" Blank rated for 30# with a Trinidad 30 with 200yd topshot of 50 mono over 200-300yds of Spectra with a 60-100# flouro leader, however the pro preference now leans towards graphite rods 8-9' long to reduce weight; I used 30# on a TLD 15 with a 7' Seeker for years before that and still do for normal trips as a backup; my dropback rig is a Penn 113HW 4/0 with straight 50# and a 125# leader.The marlin are not that big up here so most leaders are less than 150# For sharks especialy big Threshers you might want to beef that up a little with 150# minimum leaders with 200-250 more common and 2 speed reels with 50-80# line. Most large sharks can be steered to pop up behind the boat which puts less emphasis on casting and allows you to use bigger gear and heavier line slow trolling off the stern when a fish is encountered. For smaller sharks the 4/0 with 50# is just fine, with a properly set drag you can really put the hurt on a 100-150# mako, we use our drop back rig when things are slow and a couple of fins pop up when we are trolling they cast well enough to get out where the shark will see it..

·
Registered
513 Posts
Bill,

I'm curious why you have 30# over a 65# base, now you're fishing a 65# rig with no benefits of higher breaking strength. The 30 Trinidad will hold more than enough straight 30# to get the job done up here; maybe if you had a double going you might run a little tight. With mackeral as bait, I don't see a huge advantage casting 30# instead of 40-50# An interesting set up, maybe there's another angle I haven't learned yet.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Not wanting to put words in his mouth,but I'd guess the outfit Bill describes is one he uses for tourney fishing in Cabo, where the stakes are higher, the line class less important, and the number of fish much higher. You're right that it sounds like overkill for up here, but if you have the kind of $$$ on the line like they have for their upcoming all-release tourney, you don't want to take chances.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Probably should've asked for clarification....are you looking to be in compliance with IGFA rules, and, if so, what pound class do you intend to fish?

If so-leave the spectra out of the equation. If not-65# spectra is a good choice for backing on a TN20 or 30....assuming you'll be fishing 40# or less main line.

Rob

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
seems like you guys use longer rods than i expected. i intend to fish anywhere from my homebase at channel islands out to santa barb island, cat to clemente and cortez. Never fished for marlin, only sharks. My buddy said my idea of 6.5 would be bitchin', what do you guys think? Im gonna use 50#, using 50 how much should i want to hold?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Bill's setup seemed great for up here but the leader seems a little heavy; for a Cabo rig 30# seems too light but the leader was OK.
I just don't see a great advantage having backing twice the rating of the main line, I must be missing something!

When I have big money on the line I would use no less than 50# especially down south; 30# line could take too long to get a fish to leader in a release tournament wasting valuable time in the bite zone especially if they are blues, blacks , or other larger fish unless you just plan on running them down with the boat to leader immediately after hook up; what kind of fishing is that ?

cisurfer - a shorter rod is fine for the fight, you're just short changing yourself on the leverage to throw a bait farther with a longer rod. 300 yards bare minimum of 50# and be prepared to fire up the boat and chase it quickly, but I'd feel safer with a spectra backing / mono topshot that gives you 500+ yards to play with.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
>Bill's setup seemed great for up here but the leader seems a
>little heavy; for a Cabo rig 30# seems too light but the
>leader was OK.
>I just don't see a great advantage having backing twice the
>rating of the main line, I must be missing something!

Much of the 40# non-tournament mono breaks upwards of 60#'s; whereas the 65# spectra will break very close to its rating. Accordingly, you need to compensate for that difference when calculating what TYPE of main line you will be fishing...which is why it is so important to know whether one intends to comply with IGFA ratings, or simply go fishing and not worry about it.

Either way is fine, but each application has a unique distinction of rods/reels/line that are "best" for the given application. For example, a 30# IGFA conforming casting outfit is completely different animal from a 30# non-tournament drop-back setup. Not that one outfit can't be used for for both, but there really is an advantage to having independent setups for the different applications-as long as you are committed to spending the $$ and have the room to store them on your boat. Naturally, a combination outfit that will work OK in all situations will have strengths in some areas, and weaknesses in others.

Rob

·
Registered
513 Posts
You're right Rob, I completely forgot about actual breaking strengths which are indeed higher unless premium tournament rated line is used; I just never banked on what the premium Ande or Maxima line I use would actually break at. Thanks for reminding me, I knew I was overlooking something.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i was reading through the billfish forum archive here on allcoast and found some similar posts to my question. Some guys were saying they used topless 20 and 30 internationals, i couldnt imagine casting with that? I have a lil 12 int with a topless frame.
whats your take on that?

btw, thanks for everyones help. newbie learnin alot more

·
Registered
513 Posts
The 12 is a great reel for 16# maybe 20# test, but not for 50#. Even blueprinted and customized Internationals are not the best casters compared to what's out there now. When the 16# line class opened up, alot of guys went to the 12T as a caster for marlin and it served the purpose well; Use it and be prepared for a long, exciting battle ! Just don't expect to keep the dinner plans your wife might hold you to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts