All Coast banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does everyone measure lobster? I know where and how, my question is, do you just set the device down on the shell, or do you force it? The reason I ask is because when I measure, I put my Promar device btwn the eyes, then I push down towards the shell. Now what is the proper way? I mean I pull back from from to back hard as I push down. Now I have had some, that if I just set thetool against the shell, it is touching the top of the shell, I can take the same lobster, and force it, and it fits tightly in the measuring area. The DFG guy that checked me a few weeks ago really pulled hard on his device, causing me to have waht he called a short.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
You do want to put some pressure on the front when you use your gauge, to be sure you are on the carapace and not any soft tissue. I usually kinda jam it between the eyes, then gently lower it down towards the tail. If you lower it down and it gets stuck on the bug, it's still legal. If there's any gap at all--it's short. Unless the lobster just molted, you won't be able to squeeze the bug with the gauge, so if it's only legal if you use the gauge a certain way--it's illegal--throw it back.

It's pretty rare to get a "toucher", although it does happen occasionally. If in doubt,I always throw it back. It's a lot cheaper to buy them at costco then pay the fine--especially for a shorty!

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Don't be tempted to mess with the 'barely legals'...

You'll risk being wrong most of the time...

I pull down and the gauge should clearly not fit...

This one is short...

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Is that one of those make'em grow 1/16th of an inch in 10 seconds doohickeys?

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I slip the gauge as far back into the eye socket as possible. If the gauge fits over the carapas then it goes back I don't even fool around. P.S I just contacted the DFG today and no lobster shall be dismembered or disassembled untill you get home.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Erol, thats basically what I have been doing, I believe I have been releasing some that others would keep, like I said, the guagehit the shell, but then I can force it down, so back they go, I do not want to run into Mr. Fish and Game Officer Again. And I was able to see in the regs about the keeping them whole, it is a note under the lobster section.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I make sure the gauge hits the shell on there back, so my bugs gotta be 3 1\2 for me to keep, if it takes longer to get a limit so be it, its time on the water which I love.Been checked every time out of oside they must live there.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Nope..., just a dive light mounted gauge....,

If the lobster isn't significantly larger than the gauge..., he/she goes back to find their big brother... :)

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
761 Posts
If there is an doubt i just throw it back, i can buy a whole punch of tails w/ the money saved from a DFG fine, and my record stays clean. THe small ones arent worth my worrying about.
Chris (bitesomthing)
21 foot proline

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I heard on Let's Talk Hookup that all the Promar guages are wrong, causing shorts to measure as just legal. Someone suggested filing them to make it 1/16 bigger.

·
Registered
248 Posts
HEY DONE DEAL,
HOW FAR OFF WERE THOSE PROMAR GAUGES? SHOULD'NT PROMAR ISSUE A "RECALL" ON THOSE THINGS? MAYBE THE MANUFACTURE USED METRIC INSTEAD OF AMERICAN WHICH MAY BE 82mm = 3.228inch which is 1/32 short!
I GUESS WE SHOULD DOUBLE CHECK OUR GAUGES. DON'T BE CAUGHT SHORT.
SCOTT

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I do not recall the amount they were off but I can tell you that a Promar rep was made aware of the problem over a year ago and Promar never pulled the product.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Does this mean the guages sold or selling since then are wrong as well?

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Remember this thread?
http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=402&topic_id=4136&mode=full
This was a Promar gauge in question.
There's no telling how many of these gauges were sold, no telling.
There was no recall that I was aware of.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts