All Coast banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, we have never hoop neted before, so we are going to learn out of everybodys way :), so my question is we are going to learn at Catlina, my question is , at Catlina can we drop our nets anywhere we want ( except the marine reserves) all around the Island. I and my wife will be sooooooooooooooooo happy to catch a Lobster, and I have a feeling once we do, we will be hooked, my neighbor goes alot, and has given me all the info i can absorve, well hopefully next Monday I can post pics of lobster on our boat :) Any input would be helpful ! Thanks !
Craig
2520 XL Parker
"HULIHAN"

·
Registered
248 Posts
Try to talk your neighbor into going with you. No matter how much you try to absorb information wise, given that he's successful on his outtings, his experience would be invaluable. Show consideration for the other guys out there. Just remember, treat others as you would like to treated yourself. Good luck and be careful, it can be dangerous.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are well aware of the danger, that is why we are going to do it in babyb steps, I am pretty ocean knowledgeable, as been boating for awhile, just never hooping, but will be extra careful, as I will be with my wife and son !
Craig
2520 XL Parker
"HULIHAN"

·
Registered
248 Posts
No input from anyone?
OK,I'm not going to claim to be an expert at hooping,but I have been going on and off since the mid 90's. There are some basic things that you need to do to be successful at it.

Waterproof clothing and boots are a plus.

Set out your nets before darkness sets in if possible.

Have your nets properly set-up with enough rope to allow some slack in the line so when you go to retrieve the net you don't disturb it before you start your pull. When you do start pulling, you want to go as fast as you can,and steady(very important!)without pausing until you reach the surface.

When approaching the hoop buoys,take into account the wind direction and ease up,bow first toward them,keep them on your starboard side which allows you to keep an eye on them the longest amount of time.It depends,but you may have to hit reverse to stop your momentum.Ideally, you want the rope in front of the puller,either straight up and down or out no more than about 30 degrees off vertical.Under the hull or toward the stern is undesirable.

It's nice to have two people on deck,one to hook the rope with a preferably 6ft.gaff (tip covered) hold the rope to the 2nd person which is going to be the "puller". As the puller is doing their thing, the job of the 1st person is to make sure that the buoy and all the rope makes it back onto the deck.Once up,decide if you want to reset in the same spot or move to a different spot.

Hope this helps.Please post how you do. Scott

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, we were going to head out this Sat and put down the nets Sat night, but I got a bad cold from my wife ( she is a school teacher in Elem grade kids,,damm parents send thier kids to school sick )
so we are going to have to put off for two weeks, but I will let all know how we do, but thanks again for the input, I have been seeing the reports and reading all the info for a few years, but now the wife and me want to try, I am sure once we get a few bugs, we will be hooked !!!!!!
Craig
2520 XL Parker
"HULIHAN"

·
Registered
248 Posts
Try to avoid full moon periods. I have'nt done very well when the moon is real bright. If you're going in two weeks, it should be OK (moon wise). Scott

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Watch you nets real well and look out for an unlit little aluminum boat he will steal your nets if you look the other way for a few minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts