Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am figuring the cost of fuel with our weekly adventures out at sea. And it may be a good option to either get a slip at Cabrillo or dry dock it in Wilmington at 204. Does anyone have experince in these areas. We are dry docked at MDR right now and the 40 mile trip to Cat (since i rarely fish north) is adding up with 140 gallons of fuel every other week. When we go out on the weekends we really cover alot of ground that usually puts me south and if I had only an 18 mile run that would be alot better. It is a bit further to drive to but that is ok. So you all that are in Cabrillo what is the total cost per month you are spending in a slip, and is there anyone dealing with the 204 dock? Security, ease, access...ect.
thanks
tony

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
sharkhunter.72 said:
I am figuring the cost of fuel with our weekly adventures out at sea. And it may be a good option to either get a slip at Cabrillo or dry dock it in Wilmington at 204. Does anyone have experince in these areas. We are dry docked at MDR right now and the 40 mile trip to Cat (since i rarely fish north) is adding up with 140 gallons of fuel every other week. When we go out on the weekends we really cover alot of ground that usually puts me south and if I had only an 18 mile run that would be alot better. It is a bit further to drive to but that is ok. So you all that are in Cabrillo what is the total cost per month you are spending in a slip, and is there anyone dealing with the 204 dock? Security, ease, access...ect. thanks tony
I have been slipped at Cabrillo Marina for several years now and love it! It has proven to be safe, secure and a very short ride to open ocean. San Pedro bait is right on the way out, so there's no going out of your way to get bait. Here is the link for contact information, pricing, etc. http://www.cymcabrillo.com/

This post edited by Halibuts Dream 06/14/2008

·
Registered
223 Posts
Cabrillo Marina is certainly one of the best in SoCal ... we kept the Holo-Nui there for a year and a half. Never any problems, very good neighbors ... also very secure. Also, the closest to Cat, PV, the Wall, the Horseshoe. We moved the boat to Huntington Harbor just have it closer to home ... 5 minutes versus 35 minutes from Seal Beach. Another BIG plus for Cabrillo, you're around the corner from the cheapest fuel at Jank's. It's a win-win for you the way I see it. Ferg Edited to add that the prices were the same in Cabrillo for a 35 ft slip as Peter's Landing, 425-450 a month depending on electrical use, but a little higher than the Shoreline Marina in LB.

This post edited by heydaad 06/14/2008

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, how much am i looking at in the way of maintenance for leaving it in the water? i was doing some math today and i will save about 200 in fuel if i lanch out of cabrillo instead of mdr. so i am just trying to look at total costs. any help would be apprciated. also the application for the marina asks for a survey of your boat, what is that about? also what is gas on the marina there?
thank you agian
tony

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
sharkhunter.72 said:
thanks, how much am i looking at in the way of maintenance for leaving it in the water?

It depends, does the boat have bottom paint? If so you can hire a dive service to clean the hull once a month for about $1.00/foot. If not you might be better off keeping her on the trailer.

also the application for the marina asks for a survey of your boat, what is that about?

Send me a PM, or email in regards to the survey issue.

also what is gas on the marina there?
thank you agian

They have a fuel dock located at the Marina(Not operated by them), but the cost is very, very high. I would follow the earlier recommendation for Jankovich and Son's which is great and only about a mile away

tony

·
Registered
81 Posts
I made the same decision this year for the same reasons and moved my boat to Cabillo from MDR. I am actually in Holiday Harbor just behind Cabrillo, closer to the Yacht Club. I was warned about the afternoon winds, so try to get a slip as far back as possible.

So far I have been very pleased. Great facilities, good parking for guests, and great access to 24 hour bait operations that has always have squid when it is available and very friendly service.

As far as fuel, as was mentioned the dock at the marina is very expensive, as it is there primarily to serve County vessels. Even the operator will tell you to go around the corner to Janks. Gas at Janks goes for the same (or lesser) price than you pay on land, a great deal compared to what I was paying at the MDR monopoly fuel dock.

So all in all a good move. As far as your boat, in addition to bottom paint, make sure you check all your thru holes. I made the mistake of not checking mine on a prior boat and ended up have to replace the transom due to water intrusion. I am not familiar with the dry dock facilities or launch ramp, though I think there is certain hours of operation at Cabrillo, so check that out.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
To keep the boat in the water make sure your bonding system and zincs are in good shape. One of the problems with Wilmington is that it is a 35-40 minute trip to the outer harbor going to the west, a little shorter going east. Other thing if you haven't checked the cost of keeping the boat at Colonial you may be suprised. IIRC the hours of launching is pretty restricted. Cabrillo is nice but also check out Alamitos. Actually closer to the east end of Cat and bait is also easy. Downside is that you have to run up to Mike's or Jank's for fuel but depending on your tankage not a big deal if you don't have to do it every trip. A survey is just to insure the boat is not junk so you can get the cheapest surveyor you can find. You will also need liability insurence with the marina listed as payees on the policy.

·
Banned
11,019 Posts
sharkhunter.72 said:
I am figuring the cost of fuel with our weekly adventures out at sea. And it may be a good option to either get a slip at Cabrillo or dry dock it in Wilmington at 204. Does anyone have experince in these areas. We are dry docked at MDR right now and the 40 mile trip to Cat (since i rarely fish north) is adding up with 140 gallons of fuel every other week. When we go out on the weekends we really cover alot of ground that usually puts me south and if I had only an 18 mile run that would be alot better. It is a bit further to drive to but that is ok. So you all that are in Cabrillo what is the total cost per month you are spending in a slip, and is there anyone dealing with the 204 dock? Security, ease, access...ect.
thanks
tony
I like Cabrillo but it's a drive form the house compared to MDR.

Just curious what storage are you using at MDR, what's the rate per month, and hows the security?

Jim

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we are just north/west of the launch ramp in pier 44 parking lot the same lot as seamarc. it is a pretty safe area, had an incident like a year and 1/2 ago but now that i have electronics that can come out with me i dont see or worry about a problem anymore. i pay 135 a month for a parking spot. it is very convienant, i usually leave bakersfield at about 10 at night get there by 11:30 and have my slip by 12 at chase park. we really like it there alot but i have 140 gallons of fuel and to get to cat and back or any decent fishing ground for what we look for is 100 miles of driving (round trip)just to start and we didnt go searching yet, ya know. so i figure, my company pays for my vehicle gas so going another couple miles south wont kill me, i should put my boat in a stratigic place to find the toothy critters i search for year round. even though we are weekend warriors because of our house being north we put hundreds of miles and hours on our boat a year and we need to plan better. ya know? anyway hope the info helped and thank you all for the info too. time to explore long beach tomorrow in search of a new home for the boat.
tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.