All Coast banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run Afishinado Charters out of Avalon Harbor on Catalina Island using my 36' Custom Delta. I am getting more and more calls from smaller parties (1 - 3 people) who want to fish the island but cannot afford the price of my six pak so I am considering adding a second boat rather than lowering my prices (have you seen the cost of fuel in Avalon?).

The perfect scenario would be:
1. A newer (2002) 24 CC that is owned by a captain who might want to personally do some charters on weekends or...

2. An Avalon mooring/boat owner who wants to put their boat into charter operation and still be able to use it whenever they visit the island.

I run the top operation in Avalon and so the boat would need to be rigged correctly, clean and impressive for customers. I can get a mooring so the "less than perfect but still workable" option would be a non-mooring owner. Anybody know anyone who might fit, or does anyone have a boat for sale that might fit?

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
John, I have a question: Would it be possible to work out a mooring situation with Joes Rent a boat during peak season to accomplish what you are asking? Maybe even work out a percentage deal? I believe they require it to be 24' or less. If you get the right boat, partner or captain, that may be a mooring solution for you. Bill

·
Registered
548 Posts
Did you see that 23' Mako for sale on JD's site.

It looks like a nice rig... single inboard diesel power.

Maybe the seller of that boat would be game if he knew about the opportunity. Or, maybe you could pick up the boat.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you look at all of the costs of having another boat and only plan on using one at a time, you may want to consider having a lower charter rate for a smaller number of passengers.

Alan
SeaDancer
Skipjack 20

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Don't know if I can help in anyway, but if so, let me know. PREVAILER will be back in full swing with a new flush deck,9' x 12' fishing platform hopefully by April.

Capt.Flattymatty
"PREVAILER"

"to fish or not to fish..now that's a dumb question!"

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
John, After this weekends fish expedition with Bill and Rob, I think we have the perfect solution.....more to come....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
>If you look at all of the costs of having another boat and
>only plan on using one at a time, you may want to consider
>having a lower charter rate for a smaller number of
>passengers.
>
>Alan
>SeaDancer
>Skipjack 20

Thanks for that Alan, my plan would be to hire a second skipper. I would prefer to find a partner rather than have a subcontractor or an employee. I would handle the marketing, advertising, booking, paperwork, permits, insurance, etc. My partner would run one boat and I would run the other.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts