Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to the LBC this last weekend. Liked the marinas and looks like we will be moving there soon. I need to get some bottom paint on my boat, got a price from the Boat yard for 1414.00. Does anyone know of a good place to take it too and the approximate cost or at least info. so I could call? The boat is an 81 and I really want to try and not spend as much as the boat is valued at. If I do, well I do but let me know my options please?
thanks
tony

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Everybody's got a different opinion/experience with shipyards! Our boat is in Alamitos Harbor, and the Alamitos shipyard has been good to us over the years! We usually get the winter special everyother year that has free haul out and half off on some of the paint. We get two coats there, and the total bill is somewhere around $1200 + anything else we have done while out of the water! If you choose this shipyard, as for Tony the yard Manager to go over your bottom for you and assess it, he is real good and real fair! We will continue bringing our business to this shipyard. Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, total clutch.. i am going to take it to costa mesa and get it fixed. sucker... oh well at least i have a new prop. and soon will be smooth as silk going forward again.
thanks for asking
tony

i will call los alamitos also... thanks

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
sharkhunter.72 said:
Went down to the LBC this last weekend. Liked the marinas and looks like we will be moving there soon. I need to get some bottom paint on my boat, got a price from the Boat yard for 1414.00. Does anyone know of a good place to take it too and the approximate cost or at least info. so I could call? The boat is an 81 and I really want to try and not spend as much as the boat is valued at. If I do, well I do but let me know my options please?
thanks
tony
If your into a DIY job there is Eddie's in Wilington who will put the boat on blocks and you can roll the paint yourself. Not a hard job. Wipe it down with wax stripper, tape the bootstripe and roll it. Two coats and maybe a third around the top edge. A tyvek jumpsuit from home depot is a good idea. Less than half the cost of your quote. IMO stay away from Colonial in Wilmas!

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
KID CREOLE said:
IMO stay away from Colonial in Wilmas! Why would you say that about Colonial?
I know you like the Camillos and the yard Kid. We just disagree on this subject thats all. My experience and the experience of others I know is the basis for my advice.

This post edited by reddog 06/26/2008

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Try Basin Marine

I recently had my boat hauled out at Basin Marine http://basinmarine.brilogy.com/ . They are in Newport Beach, and do not let the location fool you on cost, their pricing is very good, and the quality of the work and materials used (Very Important) was top notch. they have been in business since 1939. I invite you to call or email Dave New for a quote, you will be presently surprised. Lastly, when getting a bottom paint job find out about what product they use for both primer and paint, and how many coats of each. this will be a big help to you in making a decision. Good Luck!

This post edited by Halibuts Dream 06/26/2008

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
reddog said:
KID CREOLE said:
IMO stay away from Colonial in Wilmas!

Why would you say that about Colonial?
I know you like the Camillos and the yard Kid. We just disagree on this subject thats all. My experience and the experience of others I know is the basis for my advice.
Kerry,

Just looking for some inf that I could pass on to them. You can PM me if you want!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Make sure you have your waterline correct? I left mine in the water for a couple weeks to get a stain. You can also use a grease pen in the water and mark it. I added 2" over the waterline for the bottom paint. Colonial qouted me $12 a foot for a slip. @( Wilmington marinas are filthy. My Cal 25 4 years ago would get covered with dust from the Terminal Island Scrap Yard which is directly upwind and trucker diesel dust. Also is Tweekers living around. I shopped and and found a better marina for $7.50 a foot. The water at my Pedro slip was 72 degrees and tons of bait at the slip. :tu: Whats LBC? DR

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"LBC" long beach city

7.00 a foot? wow best i can do is 10.00 a foot at holiday marina. problem is that no one has slips shorter then 30 foot. holiday has 2 at 26 foot so when it is time to pull the trigger i hope one of those are open. if not i am still wayyyyy ahead on the fuel cost. just got my quote for basin marine: 3 coats of primer, 2 coats of antifoul, 3rd coat of anti at the water line and zincs for 1200.00. looks like a winner to me!!!!
thanks to all
tony

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
sharkhunter.72 said:
just got my quote for basin marine: 3 coats of primer, 2 coats of antifoul, 3rd coat of anti at the water line and zincs for 1200.00. looks like a winner to me!!!!
thanks to all
tony
Good deal, Let us know how everything turns out...Hopefully I will see you someday at the Marina.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
went by basin marine and met dan. what a great guy he explained everything they do and it makes alot of sense to me now. he just needs 3 weeks notice and he can do the boat.. so i also went by outdrive exchange and dropped off my upper unit with ray, cool guy too..so we are on the way, i hope everything keeps going as smooth as this.
again thank you very much
tony

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.