All Coast banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took some divers over to Johnson's Rock and anchored overnight on Saturday to do some free diving for bugs. Tied the inflatable off the swimstep and awoke next morning to find it missing and the rope sawed in two below the knot. :(
Someone scored nicely...Reward for return..

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have been told by "others" that people have had their dinks stolen at Catalina. I have always been so oblivious and left/tied the dink without thinking of losing it. Where do people take them at Catalina? Do you think they bring them aboard and zip back to the mainland? Sorry about your loss.....not only the $$$loss it's the thought of some scumbag taking your stuff!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is possible the rope sawed thru against the swim step, as the rope was getting worn and the swell/wind made for a pretty rough nite on the anchor..I figured it was half-way to Newport by the time we woke up...my buddy accidentally lost his wallet with his police badge overboard mid channel one time and it was found on the beach down by Newport...talk about luck..

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Either way, I'm sorry your dink is gone. I hope you get a lucky break and a good samariton found it and sees this.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Picture of unmanned inflatable

I beleive that someone posted a picture of an unmanned inflatable from a Catalina trip over the weekend on the PB fishing board. I believed it had a small Honda OB. I just tried to look for it on that board. Does anyone else recall seeing that picture?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
RE: Picture of unmanned inflatable

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=327&topic_id=9447&mesg_id=9447&listing_type=read_new
Backlash

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You might check with the harbor masters at all the local harbors.
I once found someones tender a float upside down in the middle of the channel. The seas were 14+ feet and we had to unexpectally spend the night held up in an achorage, Pelicans, until the gale force winds let up. I picked it up and took it to the harbor patrol. It had the boats name on it. The owner was contacted and recovered it. I found out later it was a big sail boat visiting the area from SF and cut it's tender loose in heavy seas.
The guy that lost his in the above post(w/honda)is really bummin'
Good luck.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
As already said..., check with the Harbor Masters (Two Harbors, Whites and Avalon. All of them have a 'lost' dingies section.

You might also want to post a report with the Coast Guard. A friend lost his boat at Whites on New Years (a bad knot) and it was found a day later, ready to cross the border..., drifting south.

Amazing how fast those puppies move.

I hope you find it. Good Luck

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

Sorry to about the loss....That dingy on the public board is true find for someone, and a huge loss for someone else...I hope both dingies find their way home.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts

Right Kind.....14+ foot seas...here? I've been in some pretty rough seas here and in Hawaii, and I haven't seen 14' seas here....ever! I fished the back side of Molokai during the Lahaina Jackpot where it was a downhill sea where we could see our lures 20' above the boat, but never here! Anyway, loosing a dink? We've all been there, most are recovered by very cool boaters....Karma is the key! I've done it, and have had it done for me! I remember once about 13 years ago, we were in Descanso and woke up early to find no dink on the stern. I immediately called on Ch 12 and asked if anything was found, they said that there was a boat 4 miles off Avalon that was towing it back to Avalon for recovery, and this was 6am! It was ours, and you can't imagine the feeling that it gave me...never met the guy, but talked to him on the radio, and he was way cool! Thanks Dude, Back at you! Bill

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The Catalina channel does get big seas in February..Got caught in 15' curlers once in mid-channel and they were so steep on the back, sometimes, my feet were hanging in mid air as I hung on to the steering wheel for dear life. I would drop off the top into open air, fall 10' and skip down the wave at 45 degrees like a surfboard. Took over 4 hours to get in...ran out of gas just inside the breakwater..

·
Registered
2,514 Posts

One labor day I rescued a dingy that was just outside of bird rock--heading to open sea. Turned out it belonged to the harbormasters son!

It's all about good karma!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts