Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing a lot of good things about these lures.I would like to know what model?
What size?
What color would be best for Ventura Co. surfing.Also second choices if I cannot locate these.
Thank you for any input

Tom

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
loretodorado said:
What surf critters do these lures work on ? To date, I have been solely a sand-crab or Gulp Worm guy ! I would love to try something new in the surf.
I use LC's to target flatties but I get an assortment of species that include bsp's, wsp's, croakers (yfc, wsb-sublegals so far).

My retrieve for flatties is slow...as slow as you can stand it without getting slack in the line. Ideal conditions are no side current, small waves and little wind.

Use scent...Procure calico butter or shrimp sauce...often.

Use braided line...I use around 2/10 (2# dia w/10# test). Breakoffs are too expensive with mono.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
loretodorado said:
Are you working the lure in from beyond the surf line, or casting in front of the waves ?
I'm standing in knee deep water and casting beyond the shore break...typically into a hole or trough...and working it back in. I've had a flattie take the LC 5 feet from where I was standing. Other bites have been at the end of my cast, middle of my retrieve, etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. What do you prefer, suspending or sinking? Also when targeting the larger species do tides matter? High , Low Etc.? Thanks again, Tom

This post edited by fishmore 06/20/2008

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
fishmore said:
What do you prefer, suspending or sinking?
I prefer the suspending because there is less chance of snagging structure or debris on the sea bottom.

fishmore said:
Also when targeting the larger species do tides matter? High , Low Etc.?
To me, tides matter where the beach has a shallow slope. High tide will allow fish closer to shore.

At steep beaches, tide is not as much of an issue (shallow vs deep water). The fish will come close whether the tide is high or low.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
fishmore said:
What is your choice of lines when casting the LC's

Brand?
Lb. test?
Color?
Fishing mainly from the sand.
Charlie said:
Use braided line...I use around 2/10 (2# dia w/10# test). Breakoffs are too expensive with mono.
I use Berkeley Fireline which is dark grey. Spectra I've seen is green/white. If you use a mono shock leader, the color won't matter as much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.