All Coast banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took some free divers over to Catalina this weekend for some free diving on fish and bugs. We pulled up to Ship Rock to find an empty boat with scuba divers down on our spot..Suddenly, six divers surfaced and jumped in the boat in what had to be record time..They started pointing and yelling at us about a shark..About 20' outside their boat, a fin was visible cruising the surface..Five minutes later, their boat was long gone...My guys grabbed their guns and jumped in. Shortly, they were seeing yellowtail and landed a nice 25 pounder..No further sign of the mako. Yellowtail were spotted at other spots between Long Point and the west end, including Eagle Reef. Water temp was a constant 62.5 along the inside. Got some decent bugs at Johnson's Rock but nothing big...As we approached Shoreline Marina on our return, we spotted life jackets, an inflated shark with a hat and other items floating in the water..the hairs stood up on my neck as I knew a boat had gone down..followed a diesel slick until we spotted the source: a nice 45' cruiser sunk against the rocks. Newscast later reported it had caught fire with 8 people aboard and the firefighters couldn't get down into the small entryway to fight the fire, which started in the engine room. After seeing the extent of those people's loss, I didn't feel so bad about losing my 10' inflatable at Catalina on Saturday night....

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hey Bob good to hear you guys found the yellows.

I need to get out there and shoot some before the water cools down.

Thanks for the report!

Dive Deep and Fish Hard!

Roger
[email protected]

http://momentoffame.com

1 - 2 of 2 Posts