Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
800+ mako between Cat and MDR. New Fish all chum buckets... P: 310 532-7340 you can buy them in west marine as well.

Also - Great Whites seem to be here in greater numbers than ever before. Be careful not to bait one up by accident.

We've landed a few makos already this yr - all on circle hooks. THEY WORK. I encourage everyone to use them so you can release some of them and they will actually live.

These circles will not break or bend... They work on MONSTER Alaskan Halibut as well. And they are cheap. Just sharpen before each use - they get VERY sharp.

http://www.lindgren-pitman.com/pc-55-13-carbon-steel-circle-hook-180-black-10-offset-point-100-count.aspx

SG

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry GB - no pics this time around. I will post some this summer for sure. As for the GW's - yes entirely by accident. I've seen two already. They are cool to look at. I think a lady even was knocked out of her kayak recently at CI by one.

Here's one of my favorite pics I took of a GW. I blew up this one and and put it on my wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
For the last 4 years I have only used circle hooks for makos and my hook-up ratio have been nearly 100%.I was using a very heavy style of hook but since I have moved donw in line class, 8# to no more then 30# I like to use 8/0 wire circles.They cost a little more but are easier to cut with the bolt cutters and the hooks are a lot sharper and bury into the corner of the mouth alot better.Also stopped using whole mac and went to streight chunk bait too.Bill

This post edited by hanapah1 06/29/2008

·
Banned
358 Posts
Wahzoo said:
Also DFG regs state if your seen within 100 yds of a GW it's 10k fine and or 1yr in jail [email protected]
Can you please quote your source of this info! Here is the ONLY reg(s) refering to White Sharks on page 41 in the 2008 DFG regulation booklet: 28.06. White Shark. White shark may not be taken, except under permit issued by the Department pursuant to Section 1002 of the Fish and Game Code for scientific or educational purposes.

This post edited by Xlobsterman 06/30/2008

Attachments

·
Banned
358 Posts
Rodless_Jim said:
And I think the fish she has is a shortfin mako.
Well Jim,
to the untrained eye, the fish in the pic could be misstaken for a Mako, as they are in the same family of Mackeral Sharks! But, the fish is definately a small White Shark. The first clue is the coloring! A mako is a deep, dark, steel blue in coloring. The fish in the pic is grey in color, this = White Shark. The next clue would be the teeth, but in the pic, they are hard to see! If you saw a mako next to this fish, you could tell right away that they are different!

The pic below is a mako, notice the difference in the color?

·
Banned
720 Posts
Yep, that looks just like the one that some jocko caught on a party boat a few years ago. He reported that he had caught and landed a Mako out of Newport and posted photos.
Boy did that ignite a sh#tstorm.
Post got locked and photos disappeared in a hurry.

.... but not before I could save the photos. 8)

The Stewmaster

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.