All Coast banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marina del Rey Suspends Anchoring, Approves Dredging

Dredging will commence next month and continue through March 2007.

MARINA DEL REY - The north entrance to Marina del Rey is changing in order to improve navigation for the next few months.

The Marina del Rey Harbor Department is stopping boats from anchoring near the breakwater, according to Sgt. Mike Corelis. Dredging will begin at the north entrance the first week of January, county employee Walter Popoff said.

Starting Dec. 1, the harbor department will not allow boats to anchor within 1,000 ft. of the entrance to the harbor while it is being dredged. Citing a California navigation law, officers want to keep the area clear where anchoring has become a safety and navigation hazard, Corelis said.

"All the boats out there are potentially a safety hazard," Corelis said. "They're putting our boats and personnel in jeopardy. It's (also) a public hazard for people wanting to use the beach."

The department is drafting an ordinance that would permanently set the 1,000-ft. barrier in place. The ordinance could be on the books within the next three months.

For the last eight years, the department has seen a problem with boats slipping from their anchors. Boats would bang into one another, sink or run aground onto the nearby beach, Corelis said. Debris and hazardous materials from these boats cause beach closures and cleanups that block the entrances.

And blocking entrances would not be good, as the Army Corps of Engineers will be dredging the north entrance to the harbor. Starting the first week of January and continuing through March 2007, officials will be dredging six or seven days a week, at times closing the north entrance.

"We're approaching seven years since the last dredging occurred." Popoff said. "The north entrance is extremely full. A large part of it is closed now."

The county will dredge the area to its original 20-ft. depth, pushing sand offshore. The displaced sand should eventually be pulled up by the ocean and replenish nearby Dockweiler Beach and other South Bay beaches.

Federal and county funds will split the cost for the dredging, which was approved Nov. 8. Federal aid will constitute the first $1.4 million in costs, while the county will pick up the rest, up to $1.6 million of its own money. The Coast Guard will be broadcasting closures of the north entrance on VHF Channel 16.

http://www.thelog.com/news/newsview.asp?c=200574

·
Banned
11,019 Posts
This has been coming for a while.

Some of the interests at MDR have wanted to shut down the free "fools" anchorage for years now. Essentially they see it as an eyesore.

I think there's some kind of legality involved that they have to maintain an anchorage so it will be interesting to see what comes down after the dredging.

I was amazed this summer at the number of semi derelict boats anchored on the front side of Catalina. It will be interesting to see where these people take their boats when they are forced out of MDR.

Jim

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't count the times myself or someone I know have rescued one
of these stay up all night knuckleheads, or towed them to safety.

The crack pipe sailboat community will be gone!
It's more than an eye sore.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Banned
11,019 Posts
John in all honesty.... I think your more likely to see stay up all night crack heads in the local parking lots then in the anchorage.

I've spent a few hours hooping that wall and I'm out there later then anybody. Almost every time I see someone out there on their boat it's not someone that's using it for long term storage, or a live-a-board type of person but someone who's passing through and anchoring there to rest for the night. You can tell the difference by the gear on their decks. A boat with loose sails on the deck is on the move.

That's what the anchorage is there for. It's meant to be a safe haven for passing boaters to get out of the weather and rest. Or for temporary storage for someone visiting the port. I think they have to have an anchorage by law so I'm not sure how they plan to get rid of it. Perhaps a better option would be to set a time limit on how long you can anchor there.

About the only real action I've seen out there at night is I once saw a sailboat sink down to it's decks. Nice looking wood sailboat from the fifties. I called the harbor patrol about it and they were unconcerned.

I had to laugh though when I read the part in the article that said:

"Boats would bang into one another, sink or run aground onto the nearby beach, Corelis said. Debris and hazardous materials from these boats cause beach closures and cleanups that block the entrances."

Though it seems like every year in some storm we do have boats that drag on to the beach, but those boats don't block the entrance to the harbor, and in truth more boats sink at their slips each year then sink in the anchorage.

The difference is that slip based boats are contributing to the local economy with their slip fees and better maintained (cleaner looking) do to easy access and water hoses...LOL

My take is this is just another step to take away boaters rights, and resources.

It's the same way I feel about them destroying the Pedro bait barges. They used the "hazardous materials" excuse for that one as well.

Personally I have used that anchorage several times on rough days.
It's nice to have a place you can legally drop your hook and take a nap out of the swell and chop.

Jim

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've witnessed fights, fires, screaming matches, boats coming off
their anchors and drifting away, and boats sinking in that area.

Those sailboats reside on Methamphetamine Ave!

And the rest of the sailboats that have been tied to the Sheriffs dock
and the old 76 dock on the east-side are also from Methamphetamine Ave.

You need to get out earlier in the night to witness all the calamity.

John.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
yeah whats up with all those boats tied up on the dock there by the kayak rentals? Why are those things still on the water? They belong in the dump somewhere.

I do understand that those boats on the south side of the creek are a bit of an eyesore. But I also think there should be a free anchorage area for folks wanting to take a break, or spend a couple nights in the Marina.

I know both of you guys spend a lot more time out there, but nevertheless, fights, druggies and as$es can be found anywhere.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could care less about the sailboats that come and go daily, nightly, or every few days.
I agree they should have a place to hang their anchor for a day or two.
I don't live in the area so the eye-sore aspect doesn't affect me.

Most of these sailboats have been there for years.
The same people get one sailboat confiscated or/and towed in and they turn
around and bring the next version of their living quarters out there on the south entrance.

Some of the stupidity I've seen from these people is amazing!
I remember one very very very rough night where one of these sailboats
was trying to tow 2 others sailboats to safety behind the breakwater.
The 3 boats ended up colliding and banging off the south corner of the MDR breakwater.
They then yelled at me and my hoopnetting partner that night for being
selfish and pulling our nets and going in instead of helping them out.

I have absolutely positively beyond a shadow of a doubt ZERO sympathy for these people.
They were the main reason numerous changes were made to the guest docks.
Man these people used to steal more STUFF! x(
I actually had a person board my boat one night at the guest docks.
She earlier in the night was going up and down the dock bumming cigarettes and money.
Actually, she was really casing each boat.
As I laid in my cabin, door open mind you, I saw her tiptoe . .
Ever seen a crackhead tiptoe?
It's not possible IMO.
Anyway I told her if she valued her life she'd better hit the bricks running.
These same damn people would also get the key codes the the bathroom
and showers at the guest docks and do everything short of living in there.

Now you have me going.

Have good Holidays Mike, be safe.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
815 Posts
John,

I hear you loud and clear. Thay are a navagation hazard as they NEVER have any lights on and are complete pieces of crap. A perfect example the the piece of S*** that has been on the beach for several months now. Who do you think will be paying for that removal? I can tell you it will not be the owner that's for sure, if there even is a registered owner.

Regards,

Brad

·
Registered
815 Posts
John,

Ooops must have it confused with the other POC that have washed up on the beach over the past few years. Have a great holiday and I will catch up with you in 07'

By the way when are you and I actually going fishing together? Up for a Mako trip? You are welcome on my boat anytime.

Brad

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happy Holidays Brad.

I've forgotten what ocean air smells like it's been that long for me.
I'm up for whatever trip you want to plan.
Right now though, it's just not doable on my end.

John.

·
Registered
815 Posts
We will figure out something in 07. We had 11 local bugs the other night just to help keep up your bug pressure.

Take care,

Brad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts