Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been slipping the boat in Newport for the last six months or so, and I got a letter today saying the slip fees are going up by roughly 10 percent. I understand this is a money based hobby, but which marinas provide the most bang for the buck? For example, friendly service, clean facilities, parking, good security, etc. I am thinking of changing marinas and would like to learn from others first.

Boat and Slip Stats
Wellcraft 270 - LOA of roughly 29 feet, 30 amp hook up, I may purchase a hull linear in the future.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Newport has evolved due to a new company that has come in and solicited private owners to put random boats on their docks for a $20/foot some odd fee, but charge up to $38/foot and keep the difference. I'm guessing that the city and associations will rebel once they get wind of it, however in the mean time this company is cleaning up! I lived there many years, however we moved the boat to Alamitos, and saved 60% in slip fee's years ago. Miss Newport, but don't miss the slip fee's!

·
Registered
257 Posts
unfortunately my recommendation is to get a slip where you CAN get a slip. these things are not easy to come by and unfortunately the cost has to be secondary to availability.

in MDR i'm in a very nice marina, and while i wouldn't have chosen to pay my current rate at first i definitely wouldn't move the boat to save a buck now. you get what you pay for....(or overpay for as the case may be)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Long Beach has decent rates compared to others but, they do have an automatic cost of living ajustment for each year. I like Shoreline Marina (downtown) as they are putting in all new docks and electrical plus many new restaurants are within walking distance and to get up to full speed in the outer harbor only takes 10 minutes of travel..I strongly suggest getting your name on the waiting list immediately as slip space will be worth more than your boat in a few years....:) Tele number for Shoreline info is: 562 570-4950

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
P.S. the Shoreline boatowner only restrooms are clean and have showers, magnetic keys are needed to get thru the dock gates to gain access to the boats and the police patrol the area frequently. A nice bonus is my view of the Queen Mary, downtown lights at night and the cute chicks on roller skates in the summer...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I pulled the trigger and signed up on the waiting list at Dana Point. Closer to the house, bait 24-7, and only 5-10 minutes to get outside the harbor. I am a little worried about security with all the traffic around the slips but I guess I will have to wait to find out for sure. As for price - about half what I am currently paying in Newport.

Any insight from you guys that are in Dana would be great!

Thanks,

Chris
My Real Estate

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Finding a slip is simply rediculous. As of today for a 40' slip. Shoreline Marine - 183 on waiting list and 4 to 5 year wait. Dana Point Marina - didn't bother to ask how many on wait list but they are "at least" six years out. Dana West Marina - again didn't bother to ask how many but about 15 years. The suprising thing that I found out was that when you get on the wait list you pay a refundable deposit which equals a months slip cost. In Dana that is $651 for a 40'er and they keep the money until your name comes up (i.e. a decade). Bottom line is if you are planning on finding a home for a large vessel in So OC I hope you are young and aren't planning on buying the vessel for a handful of years. Geez Earl Ǽ(((>< [link:www.ilan.com/tpeck/Fishing/Darkside/DarkSide.htm| DARKSIDE CHARTER MEMBER][/link] [/FONT][font size = 2.5]

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Technically you are correct....however in reality, there is nothing better than being a pest! The more you come in and check in, the more chances they will miraculously say that something just opened up!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dana said the wait list is currently about four months for the shorter slips and forget about a larger slip in this lifetime.

The deposit requirements mentioned above are also correct. You must place one months slip fee for each wait list you wish to be placed on. So I had to pay roughly $700 to get on the waiting list for the 26 and 29 foot slips.

Keep thinking positive - closer to home, more time fishing less time in the harbor, and bait year round...

Chris

·
Registered
347 Posts
No room at the inn in Oceanside Harbor for the next several years. Only way to get a slip is to buy a boat from someone in the Harbor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts